Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone like their Power Vision tune better BEFORE autotune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 08xl1200r
My 1200 is just Stage 1, runs great with the canned Dynojet and Fuel Moto Stage 1 tunes, maybe a bit better on the FM tune...anyway tried two auto tune sessions and the bike ran worse after loading the generated tunes so I reverted to the FM tune as is (only change I've made is bumping the idle from 900 to 950)
Am curious if anyone else has experienced this (though I'll probably give auto tune another shot in the future for fun and see if the results are better)
On my Stock Sportster the Auto Tune process left the tune about 4% rich.

Did you confirm the Auto Tune Settings were set for a Sportster?
You need to have the MIN Engine Temp set to 280 F, and change the max and MIN rpms from the Power Vision defaults for Sportsters.
You might also want to change the MIN map to 25-30 kpa for auto tune.

The DynoJet canned tunes I have looked at seem to mostly disable Adaptive Fuel Control, most of the tunes for 2007-2013 Sportsters also take them out of closed loop control with richer AFRs (even though Closed loop control is still turned on)

Did you compare the differences in the tunes in WinPV?

If you want a smoother running engine leave both closed loop and Adaptive Fuel Control enabled and set your AFR to 14.6 (or lambda in 2014+ tunes to ~0.990 - 0.985) from a MAP of 30-60kpa from idle to about 4000 rpms to cover the normal cruising range.
That will allow the ECU to adjust when you are riding down the highway at 40 - 80 mph at 10 to 20% throttle. (you won't make much more power running richer there when the throttle is barely open)

You will then be in the richer MAP ranges at most throttle openings over 25-30% running the richer AFRs from the 80-100 MAP columns.

The following 2 users liked this post by shanneba:
Kevin R (09-09-2018), patricioHD (05-23-2019)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by whylee
. I feel they should support the unit. So if you buy a bike that has a power Vision on it, they will not help you? If thats the case I will never give them my money for any products they sell.
They are a dealer, not a manufacturer. Why should they support another company's product? In your example, go to the manufacturer. FM fully supports their own customers. That's all you should expect.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:32 PM
BgNH
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I attempted something similar

Originally Posted by underwhelmd
I found out something today. I wrote Fuel Moto to ask if they had a tune for my setup (same as in my signature) because I have not seen a tune based on Road Rage III 2-1 pipe. I stated I was willing to buy the tune as I already have a PowerVision. The reply was "We do not sell our mapping or tech support it is only available to customers that have purchased their tuner directly from fuel moto."

Fair enough. Not saying anything negative about that. It's THEIR business. But I think they are missing a chunk of the market.
So, I made a similar run at it earlier this week. I suggested that I would be willing to pay what they make on the sale of the Power Vision hardware if they allow me to participate in their tune download program. The cost of the unit is not why I bought it elsewhere. I just did not know FM even existed!

I received the same response. But I'm not sure the understood the point.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:25 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

My PV I had on my Dyna never worked correctly and froze constantly. Never could do an autotune. That said a couple of the tunes made my bike run like a scalded dog!!!!! Fuel mileage was horrible however.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:37 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
My PV I had on my Dyna never worked correctly and froze constantly. Never could do an autotune. That said a couple of the tunes made my bike run like a scalded dog!!!!! Fuel mileage was horrible however.
Mine use to freeze and go blank too....the fix is to route the PV cable away from any electrical. I even used RF blockers on the cable to no avail. This is an issue I discussed with fuel moto to determine cause and resolution. I routed the cable 3X before being successful....had to lifted the tank and route the cable under the top frame.

Last edited by hscic; 08-31-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:10 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BgNH
So, I made a similar run at it earlier this week. I suggested that I would be willing to pay what they make on the sale of the Power Vision hardware if they allow me to participate in their tune download program. The cost of the unit is not why I bought it elsewhere. I just did not know FM even existed!

I received the same response. But I'm not sure the understood the point.
Well they must have their reasons. Maybe it's something to do with an agreement they made with Dynojet when Fuelmoto became a dealer for their tuner.
I knew they existed when I bought my tuner but being in Canada, the only way I could afford it without the crazy exchange rate was to buy in Canada.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Mine use to freeze and go blank too....the fix is to route the PV cable away from any electrical. I even used RF blockers on the cable to no avail. This is an issue I discussed with fuel moto to determine cause and resolution. I routed the cable 3X before being successful....had to lifted the tank and route the cable under the top frame.
I tried literally everything!!!! Even put it in a bag on the luggage rack so nowhere near any electricals. I owned it for over a year before ever using it (surgery) so never even bothered with contacting FM or PV about it. Won't be doing any of that with the 18 Glide as I am completely happy with performance as is. More than enough to get me in trouble now lol. There are a lot of others that messaged me having the same issues.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
who did you write to...fuel moto is a sponsor on the forum.

I have never been refused help by fuel moto (Jamie) and I did not buy my unit directly from them.
That is because you bought your Power Vision from DK Custom Products. When you do that you have our Support, Fuel Moto Support and DynoJet support. win-win-win

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
hscic (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by 08xl1200r
My 1200 is just Stage 1, runs great with the canned Dynojet and Fuel Moto Stage 1 tunes, maybe a bit better on the FM tune...anyway tried two auto tune sessions and the bike ran worse after loading the generated tunes so I reverted to the FM tune as is (only change I've made is bumping the idle from 900 to 950)
Am curious if anyone else has experienced this (though I'll probably give auto tune another shot in the future for fun and see if the results are better)
I've had results vary, sometimes not being as good as the base. A lot can depend on how it was ridden/how much it was ridden during the auto tune session. I'd give it another go, and try and ride in the auto tune session just like you normally ride.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:36 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
That is because you bought your Power Vision from DK Custom Products. When you do that you have our Support, Fuel Moto Support and DynoJet support. win-win-win
Yes buying my PV from DK was a good move on my part...lol. Of course, I've always bought my parts from you first before going to other vendors just because I know you will back your products and make things good if I run into issues....you've had my back on several occasions. Thank you.

So are you saying not all vendors selling PVs get support from Fuel moto and/or Dynojet? Do they not support their own product? Seems some members are not getting the needed support for their PVs...how can they get the maps to properly tune their rides?

Last edited by hscic; 09-01-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone like their Power Vision tune better BEFORE autotune?