Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM
theonlychrisj
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudepants
Hmm I don't think I'll go internal throttle (funds are getting quite low for this project), but maybe single throttle cable?
If you go single cable instead of internal for the throttle, you can't go wrong with Biltwell's Whiskey Throttle. I picked one up when I did my control delete/bar cleanup, and I love it. I think TCBros has a copy that is a little cheaper also.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 588 Likes on 330 Posts

Tank arrived today. It's in pretty good shape. There's definitely some rust on the inside, but I'm betting a cleaning/sealing would help. The rear mounting tabs and just the inside corners of the front of the tank prevent laying flat on the backbone. As I suspected, the backbone on a rubber mount is ever so slightly wider than earlier sporty frames. I'd assume that was to beef up the frame because of where the motor mounts? Either way, I'm going to try and buzz these areas ever so slightly to see if I can get it to fit. If not, I maybe cutting the tunnel and making it a touch wider. Cool tank though

Old 01-09-2019, 02:30 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Tank arrived today. It's in pretty good shape. There's definitely some rust on the inside, but I'm betting a cleaning/sealing would help. The rear mounting tabs and just the inside corners of the front of the tank prevent laying flat on the backbone. As I suspected, the backbone on a rubber mount is ever so slightly wider than earlier sporty frames. I'd assume that was to beef up the frame because of where the motor mounts? Either way, I'm going to try and buzz these areas ever so slightly to see if I can get it to fit. If not, I maybe cutting the tunnel and making it a touch wider. Cool tank though

That tank looks great! Much better IMO.

The bike looks Very nice!

Last edited by steelerdude1; 01-09-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

thanks man i agree. now i’m thinking it wasn’t the bars that were bugging me it was the tank. i cut the stock tabs to help it sit a little better:

although i i could see cutting the bars down a bit to narrow them

Last edited by Dudepants; 01-09-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

also, what should i do about oil lines? stainless? there’s also no drain hole on my tank, do chopper dudes just remove the feed line to drain it? AND, presumably feed in on the bottom, bit of the two on top, which one is return and which is vent?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,125 Posts

also, what should i do about oil lines? stainless? there’s also no drain hole on my tank, do chopper dudes just remove the feed line to drain it? AND, presumably feed in on the bottom, bit of the two on top, which one is return and which is vent?
Most of them just flip the bike upside down and pour the oil out the fill hole haha. Buy a bung and put a drain in the bottomed your tank on the left side.You will thank yourself later. You can pick one up at your local hardware store. I’m going to make mine from Russel -AN fittings and their stainless line.The lines will be much neater and bulletproof. To me another necessary part on a rigid ride. Call LS on the lines. I really like the colors on that tank you got.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by back again

Most of them just flip the bike upside down and pour the oil out the fill hole haha. Buy a bung and put a drain in the bottomed your tank on the left side.You will thank yourself later. You can pick one up at your local hardware store. I’m going to make mine from Russel -AN fittings and their stainless line.The lines will be much neater and bulletproof. To me another necessary part on a rigid ride. Call LS on the lines. I really like the colors on that tank you got.
Ha! that’s hilarious. ok i’ll look at those lines thanks for the pointer. i emailed LS and they haven’t got back to me so i’m trying Lowbrow since they sell their tanks and have really good customer service

Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I wanted to chime in on the front end. What diameter headlight is that? Seems smallish to me or something else is making it look that way.

I think mini apes apes look great on these. I put a set on my stock XL and really like the look and feel.

Disregard any advice you think is crap! Looks good.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Dudepants
Road Warrior

:
Originally Posted by Ben221
I wanted to chime in on the front end. What diameter headlight is that? Seems smallish to me or something else is making it look that way.

I think mini apes apes look great on these. I put a set on my stock XL and really like the look and feel.
Disregard any advice you think is crap! Looks good.
right on Ben thanks for the input. that headlight is small, it’s a 4.5” i believe. i think you’re right that a larger or stock size headlight would probably fit this better.

Bad news: i was fixing up a few things and put it on the side stand. well, the tank i just bought wasn’t secure and fell off. it sustained a silver dollar size dent and a bunch of scratches. i guess you win some and you lose some!

Last edited by Dudepants; 01-09-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Now that the tank is damaged the options to modify it are now unlimited! That sucks.

The following users liked this post:
back again (01-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Dudepants Rubbermount Short Chop