Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Vance & Hines FP3..... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1263242-vance-and-hines-fp3.html)

JWCFatboy 12-04-2018 04:03 AM

Vance & Hines FP3.....

I had two Sportsters in the past... a 2005 883 and a year later the 1200. A week ago I bought a 2016 Forty Eight with only 3000 miles on the clock. I have forgotten the rubber mounted, shaking Evo engine.... also riding a Fatboy, it is now "getting used to the vibrations..." again 😃. The bike came with black V&H short shots pipes, a breather and the FP3 tuner from V&H. The FP3 tuner is really a cool piece of tech. I however do not find a good tutorial on the settings of the FP3 - lots of "how to install and auto tune" but no real user guide. Anyone that knows where to find it? I do not even see it on the V&H website..

When riding the Forty Eight it pulls very strong ( I was pleasantly surprised!! ) - the issue is when I am cruising in traffic in 2nd/3rd gear 1600- 1800 rpm the motor does not feel super smooth - there is a tiny bit of erratic ride, like a bit of hunting - the motor sounding like it has a slight misfire, or that is what I hear....

Maybe this how the Sportsters are?? I'd like to hear from you how smooth yours is in slow riding and lower revs before I delve deeper....

Regards.

firehawk6 12-04-2018 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by JWCFatboy (Post 17868142)
I had two Sportsters in the past... a 2005 883 and a year later the 1200. A week ago I bought a 2016 Forty Eight with only 3000 miles on the clock. I have forgotten the rubber mounted, shaking Evo engine.... also riding a Fatboy, it is now "getting used to the vibrations..." again ��. The bike came with black V&H short shots pipes, a breather and the FP3 tuner from V&H. The FP3 tuner is really a cool piece of tech. I however do not find a good tutorial on the settings of the FP3 - lots of "how to install and auto tune" but no real user guide. Anyone that knows where to find it? I do not even see it on the V&H website..

When riding the Forty Eight it pulls very strong ( I was pleasantly surprised!! ) - the issue is when I am cruising in traffic in 2nd/3rd gear 1600- 1800 rpm the motor does not feel super smooth - there is a tiny bit of erratic ride, like a bit of hunting - the motor sounding like it has a slight misfire, or that is what I hear....

Maybe this how the Sportsters are?? I'd like to hear from you how smooth yours is in slow riding and lower revs before I delve deeper....

Regards.

I've got Rush slipons and a Screaming Eagle Stage 1 air cleaner on my '17. I reflashed it with the FP3, and it's dead smooth no matter what rpm I'm running. Sounds like maybe a lean condition in the 1800-2000 rpm range. I'm no expert though...

There is no manual for the FP3 from V&H, you might try reflashing the ECM again. I've never ran the Autotune on mine, several here have had problems using that feature. Mine runs so well I'm leaving it alone.

Andy from Sandy 12-04-2018 06:13 AM

There is a demo mode in the 'phone app that will allow you to see pretty much all the FP3 can do.
I think my 2017 is much the same as yours but I wouldn't expect much from the engine in 3rd at less than 2000 to 2500rpm. If I am wrong then I would sure like to get my bike sorted to run at those low engine speeds in 3rd gear.
At 1600 you are not much over a fast tickover and at that engine speed I think I would still be running in 1st.

JWCFatboy 12-04-2018 07:10 AM

Thanks! Is it possible to share your map so that I can try that (share via the app?) Just asking.... I've tried leaner, richer, flashed a few times... Regards

JWCFatboy 12-04-2018 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy (Post 17868274)
There is a demo mode in the 'phone app that will allow you to see pretty much all the FP3 can do.
I think my 2017 is much the same as yours but I wouldn't expect much from the engine in 3rd at less than 2000 to 2500rpm. If I am wrong then I would sure like to get my bike sorted to run at those low engine speeds in 3rd gear.
At 1600 you are not much over a fast tickover and at that engine speed I think I would still be running in 1st.

Thanks! I'll check it out. 2nd gear at 1700 rpm... should be smooth?? Regards.

FXDF Whiskey Throttle 12-04-2018 07:58 AM

While your bike is connected to your phone upload your current map to support.
Give a description of your trouble spot. They'll examine your map, alter it, and send it back to you.

"View Edit Maps"/ Long press on your current map (it will be blue) / hit the icon that looks like a C with a speaker / hit upload.

Then you push a button to call V&H and it will show you a reference number to give the rep. You can also email them.

Once CS has updated your map you hit "Download" to download the revised map from V&H.'

AFAIK, the V&H FP3 support center is in Cali.

Andy from Sandy 12-04-2018 08:03 AM

The maps are stored on the V&H server not on your phone so I don't think they can be shared.
I haven't played with any other map but the one I loaded that seemed closest to the Khrome Werks mufflers and SE air cleaner I have on my bike. I don't even know for example if a map for a pipe with baffles runs leaner or richer if run with pipes with no baffles.

tmac00333 12-04-2018 08:18 AM

I always try to keep mine above 2,000 RPM no matter the speed

misput 12-04-2018 08:33 AM

Thank you, make mine pre 2007!!! : )

JWCFatboy 12-04-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by FXDF Whiskey Throttle (Post 17868480)
While your bike is connected to your phone upload your current map to support.
Give a description of your trouble spot. They'll examine your map, alter it, and send it back to you.

"View Edit Maps"/ Long press on your current map (it will be blue) / hit the icon that looks like a C with a speaker / hit upload.

Then you push a button to call V&H and it will show you a reference number to give the rep. You can also email them.

Once CS has updated your map you hit "Download" to download the revised map from V&H.'

AFAIK, the V&H FP3 support center is in Cali.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised tonight (other side of the world here!) to get a mail from V&H asking for the upload.... They will tweak and send it back. I hope to see a great improvement! Regards.