Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter / external breather question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
John, my post was not meant as sarcasm and it is true. It is illegal to vent any modern motor vehicle used on the highway.
Especially in CA. My VA state inspection checks for it. (Sure not all)

FP ask for opinions. I just started mine. Is this wrong?
No, not at all. I live in Kalifornia as well, and just saw your post as a (well founded) joke about our stringent emission laws. Ironically, we do not have motorcycle inspections here, or I would have been in violation 28 years ago on my bike. I only have to have my truck emission checked every two years, but never on my Sportster. I guess that's a big loophole in our laws here in CA. Of course, a CHP or cop can always write you up, but I have never heard of that happening in my experience.

On the flip side, marijuana is now legal, so we got that going for us!!!! Being a native Kalifornian does still have some advantages.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 01-10-2019 at 10:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tunafisher729 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by tunafisher729
I think I'm going to pull out my old legally registered YZ125 2-stroke and go for a ride today and really burn up some oil

God I miss my old RD400. What a rocketship it was, smoke and speed, what's not to love!

John

Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by apache snow
Damn, now the sky is falling. LOL
Again? That's third time this month.

John

Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM
stxscott
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how my bike was set up when I bought it. I didn't even know the bolts holding the air intake in place were hollow until I felt a puff. Just as well I wear old jeans when riding. I still don't know what type of intake this is, and it's not exactly what I'd call well filtered air, but it looks awesome

(note for newbies: if you accidently lean your knee in when cornering and it covers the air intake you tend to lose power rather quickly)

Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by stxscott
This is how my bike was set up when I bought it. I didn't even know the bolts holding the air intake in place were hollow until I felt a puff. Just as well I wear old jeans when riding. I still don't know what type of intake this is, and it's not exactly what I'd call well filtered air, but it looks awesome

Those bolts look very similar to what I have with my SE airfilter setup. Those bolts and some wide spacers plus backplate, very simple design.

John

Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
No, not at all. I live in Kalifornia as well, and just saw your post as a (well founded) joke about our stringent emission laws. Ironically, we do not have motorcycle inspections here, or I would have been in violation 28 years ago on my bike. I only have to have my truck emission checked every two years, but never on my Sportster. I guess that's a big loophole in our laws here in CA. Of course, a CHP or cop can always write you up, but I have never heard of that happening in my experience.

On the flip side, marijuana is now legal, so we got that going for us!!!! Being a native Kalifornian does still have some advantages.

John
Our state has stringent emission laws too. We are required to pass annual safety inspections (as opposed to emissions inspections required in other states), but our inspection appears to be focused on vehicles not motorcycles as I had external breathers that passed in all the years I had them on....but pipes certainly need baffles to pass, perhaps a noise thing lol.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:24 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by stxscott

(note for newbies: if you accidently lean your knee in when cornering and it covers the air intake you tend to lose power rather quickly)
Looks like RSD (engraved on the intake) Roland Sands Designs

https://www.rolandsands.com/product/432/velocity-stack

stxscott (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM
tunafisher729
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
God I miss my old RD400. What a rocketship it was, smoke and speed, what's not to love!

John
Oh yes!, 2-stroke street bikes, those were the days of some very cool bikes.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:35 PM
tunafisher729
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=John Harper;17949831 Of course, a CHP or cop can always write you up, but I have never heard of that happening in my experience.

[/QUOTE]

yes, true, but this would be a correctable violation, i.e. "a fix it ticket", to say that you would be subject to a $10,000. fine is utterly ridiculous in my opinion.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Thanks guys for referencing our External Breather Systems (EBS). You can see a large selection of them at this LINK.

Regarding inspections...about a year ago I did some extensive research and found that NO States do any kind of emissions (smog) inspections on motorcycles. So I was a bit surprised to read that Virginia is now doing them.

I went to the Virginia Government website and they clearly state that Motorcycles are exempt from emissions inspections. So unless the law has changed and the gubmint has not updated their website, it still appears that no state requires emission inspections.

Here is the link- https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp

copy and paste from the above link-

Exemptions
  • If your vehicle is being registered for the first time in Virginia and has a current valid emissions certificate (performed in the last 12 months), it may be titled and registered without a Virginia emissions inspection.
  • Motor vehicles exempted from emissions inspections include:
    • Motorcycles

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-10-2019 at 06:55 PM.
hscic (01-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Air Filter / external breather question