Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 04:31 PM
Carby Hamcan
Advanced
Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
I don't think you overpaid. The stock "H" pipes are probably better performance wise than what you had. Find some good slipons and you should be fine.(...)
John
I only say that b/c I've seen sets come up for sale locally for under $100. I definitely keeping my eyes out for some quality slipons. I'd love to split the difference between the quiet stock pipes and the loud VnH straighshots.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:47 PM
Rufus13
Tourer
Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Rufus13

Look close, turn up the brightness, you can see the DK TTI.

My bike had some sort of straight thru pipes and was awful loud, to the point it was miserable to ride on the freeway. I took a guess and bought a set of Rush slip ons with their smallest baffles, 1 3/4". They still seemed sharp and raucous on the freeway so I decided to put in DK lollipops, the 1 5/8" since the slip ons are 3". They do mellow it out- enough that for the first time I could hear the valve clatter from the top end. On the highway the wind noise blanks out most of the engine sound. Around town they sound good, if a little soft. They still have the Rush baffles in, DK says to take the baffles out for the deepest tone. I wasn't going for the best tone, just less noise.
I'd say they cut the noise by about 30%. Take it with a grain of salt, though. It's all subjective.
I added this link to a video (potato cam) where you can hear the valve gear while it's idling. It has to be downloaded to play, but it's safe.
Sporty idling
The baffles in with the 1 5/8 TTIs sounded a little wimpy to me. I ordered a set of 2 5/8 TTIs and a slide hammer to pull the Rush baffles out. The bars across the baffle promptly broke off since they were barely spot welded so I had a 2 day argument and a lot of drilling and pounding to get them out.
Installed the big TTIs straight across at first. Ran it down to put gas in for winter and it sounded weird. A clattering sound more than the cool thumps I was looking for. Frigid weather set in so I had time to reset the angles of the TTIs. With Rush slip ons they all but filled the pipe with a very small gap around them. They were acting almost like potatoes crammed in there. I angled them about 15 degrees to have a nice gap around one side. Today was a WARM 56 outside. I took it for a test ride and DAMN. They sound gorgeous, just what I wanted. Not real loud, either. In traffic on a 25 mph residential street in 2nd, I barely blipped the gas and the front end almost came up. Had I given it a quick half throttle, it would have. I've been jealous of the sound other Sporties make, but not any more.
If you have 3" mufflers, pull the baffles, mount the 2 5/8 TTIs and make sure the exhaust can escape. You won't be shopping for exhausts any more. WE have arrived, boys. Thanks go out to DK products. A very cool company.
EDIT: I don't have a decent camera but Mr Robb did. Here's his 2013 72 with gutted SE slipons (3") with 2 5/8 TTIs.
Give it a listen as he splits lanes across town. He passed away (RIP) but he got my attention with that red 72. His bike sounds like mine, now.

Last edited by Rufus13; 02-07-2024 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added video
Old 02-08-2024, 03:53 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts

I’m not too familiar with the solid mount bikes. I’d think it’d be easy enough to add the O2 bungs to a solid mount pipe.