Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes hurting my ears!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New pipes hurting my ears!

ORIGINAL: Thumper26
<snip>
...I thenswitched to SE II's and find they are "throatier" (to my ears) with no annoying harmonics (to my ears) at any speed. I am now thinking about going with Thunder Baffles in the SE II'sto get a lower tone.
I put the Thunder City baffles in my SE IIs and there was a pretty significant mid-range improvement with no loss in low or top end. But they are LOUD; probably a bit sharper bark than the SE IIs with the original baffles. I like the performance and I'll not go back.

I wear a half-helmet and do wear foam earplugs, not because of the pipes but the wind roar. I wear a three-quarter in the winter and don't need the plugs.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
MikesDad
Cruiser

Your helmet will definately make a differenvce. Riding without or at least a half helmet make the mufflers sound much better. But then the wind noise gets ya.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
eggroll
Road Master

I modded my stocks; they're louder than original stock, but not nearly as loud as the SE's. I don't need to **** off the neighbors. Again.[:@]

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Tegne
Cruiser

Hi eggroll, sorry if this is something that you've explained on another tread ... what did you do to modify your stock pipes? Not only do I hurt my ears and **** offthe neighbours (I live in a condominium with a basement carpark that amplifies even a regular exhaust note!), but now my wife and daughter refuse to ride with me. Now for many, that may be a blessing in disguise! For me, I like the company from time to time.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
MosesJJN
Cruiser

WHAT? Speak up, sonny!

Actually, my 1994 XLH 883 was bopped to stage one 1200 w/scream eagle pipes, new intake w/KN filter and as long as I used 92 octane and don't drag race I swear it was quieter than stock.

Honest.

Bud.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
hdxl1200r
Cruiser

I agree with SportyPig on this one. My SEII changed as the carbon built up in them. At first, they had a higher sound but as the carbon builds up they now sound lower and produce more of a rumble at any speed. I'd run them a couple hundred miles and see how you like them then, It took mine about 400 miles. I went on a run with the local Legion Riders and the first three bikes were Big Twins with straight pipes, I couldn't even tell if my bike was running at times!!!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tegne

Hi eggroll, sorry if this is something that you've explained on another tread ... what did you do to modify your stock pipes? Not only do I hurt my ears and **** offthe neighbours (I live in a condominium with a basement carpark that amplifies even a regular exhaust note!), but now my wife and daughter refuse to ride with me. Now for many, that may be a blessing in disguise! For me, I like the company from time to time.
You can always go back to stock pipes or commit the cardinal sin and go metric.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Tegne
Cruiser

Wash your mouth out with soap!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear earplugs all the time. I can still hear the pipes just fine, but they keep the sharpness out, keeping the noise painless.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
yomomma22
Road Captain

I have SE on my bike and find that I cant really hear them at 30+ without turning my head to the right.But all I can hear for the most part is wind and engine noise.

Quick Reply: New pipes hurting my ears!