Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pipes hurting my ears!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 PM
birdmove
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New pipes hurting my ears!

To each their own, but I prefer quiet exhaust systems.I do not like to attract attention, and the super loud exhausts are made to do just that. I also have good neighbors and do not want to bother them with a loud exhaust system. I replaced the exhaust system on one motorcycle once with an after market system and found the noise just flat beat the hell out of me especially on trips.Loud exhausts are making more enemies for us from cage drivers.More enemies and more legislation we don't need.I've ridden motorcycles for over 45 years and will continue to do so for as long as I am able, but I am not an advocate of making your bike as loud as you can just because you think it sounds cool.Your freedom to make noise with your motorcycle may soon end at your neighbors ears.Its going to end soon anyway with the more restrictive laws coming fast.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA

Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the cagers are getting sick of hearing our exhaust instead of the person on the other end of their phone call.... Which one is the bigger distraction here???

To Tegne.... I am not Eggroll but I have modified my stock pipes as well. AllI did was take a roto-zip with a metal bit and ground the welds on the outlet side ofthe muffler and took a long pipe (jack handle) and a BFH, gave it a whack or two on the baffle in the inlet side and the baffles dropped right out.
I then took a dremel tool and smoothed outthe marks left from the Roto-zip for a clean look.
There is a nice volume difference when you get knee-deep (or so to speak) in the throttle yet the noise is easy enough to control when you need it to. Basically it's only as loud as your twist on the grip lets it get.
I get alot of compliments on the sound of my exhaust as well. I got the Cycle Shack sound for $12 bucks and about 45 minuted of my time. Smart money in my book.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Tegne
Cruiser

Okay ... decided. I'll leave the SE's on for now and hope that some carbon build-up softens the sound. The volume is just about on my tolerance limit .... it's the raspy harsh sound they make when accelerating that gets to me at the moment. The burble when idling at traffic lights and the 'pop' when decelerating hard is fantastic. Certainly gives the bike a whole lot of character. We'll see. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a suggestion, but whilst you're running up the mileage to see if the sound improves, why not take the added precaution of wearing the earplugs.

From the symptoms you've described there is a possibility you could be causing irreprabale damage to you're hearing particularly if youre riding regularly.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Earplugs... they will save your long term hearing and stop wind from getting in there. You will still hear the exhaust, but all the harshness will be gone from the outside noise. Friend of mine is a sound engineer for a living and never rides without them. Eardrums are pretty fragile and all the wind whippin in there all the time is not good for them.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
crazydave
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use earplugs, especially when using a half helmet. The wind noise hurts my ear drums. Now that the temps are getting colder, I am using a full face helmet, but I still need ear plugs due to the noise from my Rush pipes.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Paulp
Stage II

I had the same problem. Rode deals gap two weeks ago and deciced they were just too loud. I took the baffles out and with my ballpen hammer I closed the gap where the exhaust goes straight thru from 3/8 inch down to less than 1/4 inch. They still sound great but not as loud. No difference in power.Safe riding, Paul

Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
cultfreak
Intermediate

I have tinitus in my ears (constant ringing) from years of concerts. after my first long ride on my Sporty my ears felt like I have just left seeing Motorhead n concert. those blue ear plugs from earplusonline are by far thee best ear plugs made. I usually used my iPod or those depending on how far I am riding, I also wear a open face helmet and that does not do alot for protecting from wind in the ears.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 AM
crown_vick
Advanced

I'm still waiting on the V&H shortshots in black to hit the market (I hear November). In the meantime, will knocking out the baffs on my '07 stock mufflershurt performance or air/fuel ratio since it's EFI?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Tegne
Cruiser

Well .... I'm taking a risk here. I swapped my SE's back to stock and have ordered V&H slip ons with quiet baffles. It wasn't the volume as much as the harshness of the exhaust that did it for me. The SE's created a harsh sonic 'pop' as the pistons thumped away, which created a clicking in my inner ear. I've read some place here that people refer to some of the after market exhausts as having a 'cheese grater' sound. It was just harsh and it hurt. Hoping that while the V&H pipes will be loud, they won't have that harshness. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: New pipes hurting my ears!