Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the Sportster handle better.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:48 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making the Sportster handle better.

That was actually going to be my starting point if I do it.....Black Cherry as a color.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM
A727Guy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: espacef1fan

Looks wonderfull.....any word ont he mods though?(specifically chassis,brakes) Motors are the easy part for me
Unfortunately, I don't really know any specifics about the bike. I thought it was an interesting project, though.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM
x2lee
Banned

I put continentals on my bike a few weeks back they handle like a dream, best handling tires I have rode to date...

Okay I'm considering buying a Sportster eventually, as I'm selling my sportbike, but my other bike, a dual sport isnt quite enough for EVERYTHING I need to do while commuting/riding.
My question:
-Is there much out there for improving the suspension on the Sportster WITHOUT sacrficing the looks (that I like) .
By improve I dont mean make it ride smoother. I mean move the suspension in the direction of my sportbike. I know you can only lean so far before you start dragging stuff. With stiffer springs and stuff you can lean a bit farther and whatnot, that much I know. Are there companies out there that sell kits or ywould I be on my own on something like this? Of course tires would be part of the equation. I dont expect a racebike, I just want a nice handling standard with a DECENT amount of get up and go.
Basically HD's version of an SV650,Honda 919, Kawsaki ZRX1200...
I've ridden an 883 and the handling was "quirky" at a minimum,lol.

Anybody else done anything like this?
No I dont want to buy a buell really..and no I dont want a V-Rod....
I'm not a huge HD fan...but Sportsters are great looking bikes(and comfy!)

Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 PM
espacef1fan
Cruiser

Hell I was gonan put some Pilot Road 2's I think they are called if I were to do it..I guess they are REALLY awesome sporttouring tires...

Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Kozak
Cruiser

I was going to start with some RK air shocks for comfort and spring the forks, add a fork brace.

I just sold my zrx1200r and picked up my 04 1200xlc. wont get up to 150+ but it does have a fun factor about it I like. I got the stage 1 and Rinehart dual slash

Old 11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well yeah I kinda covered that..but I wasnt sure if there was specific companies I should go with..or what...

BTW the bike you have is in the EXACT color I would get a Sporty in..IF I get one.
Thanks. It is a great color. Looks black at night, real dark red when overcast and has the sparkly/mettalic flake look to it in direct sunlight.

As far as companies for shocks and springs -- Progressive seems to be the big boys on the block that get the most accolades from sportster riders. I plan on putting either Progressive 412 or 418s on mine soon, as well as Progressive fork springs. I am going to stick with 13.5 inch shocks that are the closest size to stock they sell. I think they are actually a 1/4 inch longer. Lowering it will not help the handling as you may know. It will just lower it and let you scrape things quicker.

There are many fork brace manufacturers out there. As far as they go, just google for them. THey all look a little different and in my opinion probably all work equally as effective. I actually like the chrome Screaming Eagle fork brace HD makes. I think it looks sharp. Kurykan makes a pretty nice one too.

As to tires, Metzeler seems to make pretty good replacement tires. The bike comes stock with Dunlop. All reports I have read from other Sportster riders have said the Metzeler are a little softer which means they may not last as long, but will be stickier. Others have reported they work better in the rain compared the Dunlops. I plan to try them out when I wear out my stock tires.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Our business is suspension. I would suggest a mono-shock and stiff rear fork. a set of inverted forks, a lot of cubes, you can get em over 100 ci. Is this what you are looking for? You can paint it any color you want.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/A5357ADD23964D10843DF80C991F5412.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Kozak
Cruiser

that would be a good start, how much?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 AM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, thet bike is sick. Mono-shock rear looks sweet.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 AM
rmodel65
Tourer

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Our business is suspension. I would suggest a mono-shock and stiff rear fork. a set of inverted forks, a lot of cubes, you can get em over 100 ci. Is this what you are looking for? You can paint it any color you want.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/A5357ADD23964D10843DF80C991F5412.jpg[/IMG]
sign me up for one thats what im looking for but witha traditional looking seat and headlight

Quick Reply: Making the Sportster handle better.