Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best air cleaner out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Dragon919!
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's the best air cleaner out there?

ORIGINAL: 07HDnightster

I thought about doing mine the same way just cutting it and installing a high flow filter. If I did that along with my slip-ons, would i need to have the download installed? Appreciate all the responses.....

Yes!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:45 PM
x2lee
Banned

The K&N is the best airfilter in the world, if you dont believe me check that banner at the top of the page.
Irun a forcewinder with a k&n
ORIGINAL: Photo

I'm still a newbie myself and havent changed anything yet myself so cant offer any advice on different air cleaners.

However, I'm pretty sure I've read on here before that whilst you can change the pipes without changing the air cleaner, you cant do it the other way around. ie if you change the air cleaner you would have to put on replacemet pipes. With an EFI bike you would also need to have a re-map done.

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this or if not if you already have this other work planned. I would just hate for you to waste $$$.

I will watch the answers to this thread with interset as I'm curious if K&N is really about the only option for the actual cleaner element with the only variable being which cover you have fitted. This seemed to be the answer I got some weeks ago when I asked a similar question.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Elvis Nixon

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

ORIGINAL: Elvis Nixon

I'm really happy with my NRHS Hurricaneflow. NRHS Performance
That is a sweet looking bike Elvis!!! I love the exhaust!
Thanks HDK. I have to also thank you for posting the heads up when Ben was having that sale a while ago. It allowed me to get the exhaust sooner rather than later.
No problem.... Ben is a great guy, and he makes very high quality stuff.... Again, the exhaust looks sweet!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

2002 sportster.

I've run the HD K&N kit for 100k miles. No complaints. Works fine in rain & snow. Easy to clean. Performance wise... calculate the volume between the air inlet and the ham can cover & get back to me when you find it matters little untill you change your cams.

Anybody who is worried about the stuff that gets past the filter should worry about the small stuff in life a bit less.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

Anything bigger than stock is good. Other than that it is more about looks and fitment, unless you like to argue about 1-3hp.
As for race applications there are a few.

I run the Kuryakyn Corsair do to its looks and the bigger filter element. I had to change the jets in the carb. since it pulled so much more air in and was running lean.
The only thing is you have to install a sock over it to ride in the rain. So I carry it along for trips and put it on if I need it. I like the looks of it without.

To each his own I think when advancements in technologyis at such a high level and so much research has been done.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
phantom
Novice

if you were to only put on slip on's , would you need to remap ??

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
rbrunyan
Cruiser

I'm very happy with my Arlen Ness Big Sucker 1. Easy install. I left a post in here awhile back. Do a search. See my photo gallery for pics. Sweet bike!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 07HDnightster

What do yall think is the best aftermarket air cleaner out there? I was looking a the SE a/c and i just don't think you get that much more airflow over stock other than you getting a high-flow filter with the kit. I like the heavy breather from Harley but damn that's expensive.....What are yall opinions on this? Has anyone tried making your own kits or modifying the stock or whatever? Let me know.....
I had the SE A/C, it seemed to work good, But (IMO) has major design flaws. The backing plate bolts can come loose and suck in the motor.(I had this happen)
I now have the heavy breater installed. It looks great, and seem's to work more then good enough. Also has a better design.

Here's a pic of mine

[IMG]local://upfiles/37362/0F8E8392326C4C47AA0A2F7F1E8122A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Hypercharger which alot of people seem to dislike. It was on the bike when I bought it, and I like the looks of it.

I have read that the Forcewinder is supposed to be good, I thought there was a write-up on NRHS' site

Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best air filter is one that flows enough air, not to strangle your engine and costs you a lot of power. If you have a stage 1 bike, then you probably won't need to worry about it. Choose one of the high performance filters that you like. Every single one of them has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Quick Reply: What's the best air cleaner out there?