Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Cold to Ride Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:14 AM
hawaiibound
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Too Cold to Ride Safe?

Did I mention I only rode a mile or so? So, I'm not that hard core! Be careful seriously, the de-icer is nasty chit. They love to cover Federal way, Warm Springs, Gowen in that chit.
West end... watch Eagle Road!

Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you are riding on ice, the reduction of traction on a cold vs warm surface, is negligible at best.

I have been involved in accident reconstruction for over 8 yrs, and took a course that specifically covered the specific issues of motorcycles. Nowhere....NOWHERE, have I have read, seen, or been taught, that cold pavement reduces traction. There isn't even anything in the various formulaes, to address temperature variances.

If anything, cooler pavement increases traction. If it didn't, you wouldn't see the NASCAR teams trying to get their qualifying runs in while the pavement is cool.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went out today at 36 degrees for a 35 mile ride. Was not particularly fun because last nite it had hit a low of 21 and rained. Was concerned about hitting a patch of ice in a shaded area....took most of the fun out.

A few weeks ago I went for a 100+ mile ride at about 38 degrees, had a blast. There had been no rain and no temps below freezing for days.

With long underwear, jeans, leathers, t-shirt, flannel shirt, jacket, wool socks, boots, face mask, good gloves and wind breakers on the engine guard I can stay nice and warm in the mid to high 30's.

The ice is what will keep me off the road.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nights here in LA have been low 40s to high 30s, lowest temps ive ridden in so far. 5 minutes on the road and im shivering, my arms and thighs are cramping, i can barely control the bike. i gotta pull over, keep the bike running, and hug the engine for awhile, haha

i dress with 2 pairs of jeans on at once, thick over ankle boots that seal pretty well, long sleeve shirt, full leather jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, beanie covering ears and forehead and neck, goggles, and face mask covering the rest of my face. the cold just gets through everything!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Joseph,

You need a windshield and more chit on your legs! Then you'll be able to ride some serious miles in the low 40's.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Simon UK
Tourer

I don't think you can use the temperature alone as a decision point. You need to consider the overall conditions. It was -2 or -3°C in the mornings here last week(high 20's Fahrenheit) but I still considered it safe enough to ride to work because it had not been wet and the roads weren't icy. If there was a higher likelihood of ice I may not have ridden. There may be other times when the air temperature is above freezing, but the roads are icy or have snow and slush on them, that I will not ride.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighDesertKid

Yeah, I can see where black ice would be a nasty beast on a bike... You can't really see it and if it hits you in a corner look out...
LOL If you hit it going 'straight' look out !!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

If anything, cooler pavement increases traction. If it didn't, you wouldn't see the NASCAR teams trying to get their qualifying runs in while the pavement is cool.
I could be wrong but I figured they would want the cooler air for the engine. As for the traction don't the drag racers heat up their tires during the burn out to get the rubber nice and hot and sticky?
I do agree though that without ice or precipitation the cold asphalt shouldn't really give any less traction.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM
gmerr2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24 degrees this morning and rolled in as always....

Rev. George.....Chattanooga, Tn

Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The cold is problem with tires. They warm up, but it takes longer. If it's below around 40, I usually swerve back and forth in my lane as I'm going out of the subdivision to help warm up the tires. Similar to what you see NASCAR drivers do during a caution, just before the green flag drops. Cold tires don't stick as well, and the air pressure is lower until they warm up.

Here in Nashville, if it's really cold, the streets are usually clear. We rarely get any precipatation when it's below freezing. Occasionally, the roads will still be wet from rain and then black ice forms after the rain stops and the temps drop. Black ice isn't a problem if you hit it going straight, as long as you don't brake or accelerate while on the ice. I usually just pull in the clutch hold my breath and hope for the best. In a curve, you're going down.

You have to adjust your riding when it's below around 30 degrees. You're reaction times are slowed, plus if you're really bundled up your body movements are probably restricted, so allow yourself more time for any movements. Of course the cages don't always provide you with the opportunity for a delayed reaction, so it is a bit more dangerous at that point. The coldest temps I rode in last winter was an 80 mile interstate ride at 17 degrees. That wasn't fun, but I was going to a funeral with the Patriot Guard. Me riding a motorcycle in 17 degrees is nothing compared to the conditions that soldier endured.

Quick Reply: Too Cold to Ride Safe?