Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you wear a full face helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: do you wear a full face helmet?

Full face year round, and I live in Bama where we not only got heat, but 100% humidity to go with that.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:20 AM
thruster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No option in OZ, it is law to wear a helmet.
I wear open face round town and short trips, fullface for night time, long trips or if it is raining and I have to take the scooter out.

I also have 2 HD beanies but they are illegal to wear over here even though they are AGV helmets the same as my fullface but they dont have the OZ standards sticker on them so it is a big fine if I get caught, but havent been yet hehe

Old 02-23-2008, 03:03 AM
cococardenas
Advanced

i wear a shoei full face(x-11)

In texas we have the option, but need to have minimum 100,000 dlls in medical coverage (I belive).

Bostrom for me

Old 02-23-2008, 03:16 AM
beuz
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

In France, you can wear anay models of helmets if it's E.C. approuved.
I'm a daily rider and there's so much traffic to go to work on the higway to paris,
so I always wear a full face helmet.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kozak
if you live in a state without a helmet law, this question will probably seem nutty.
I used to not wear a full face but got a bee? got caught under my sunglasses once while passing a semi.
I'm in NH, no helmit law, same with ME. However Canada, Vermont & Mass require helmits. I wear one by choice, half helmit, one of the HD models, they had a good sale.

I don't always ride with a windshield on the bike. Nor does it stop everything, I can see over it.

I like the stories of "I got hit by a june bug & it hurt like a rock." [sm=boohoo.gif]
I've been hit by a rock! It hurts like a ROCK!
I think the worst thing to be hit by ar the bugs that don't die.
The worst bug I was hit by that did die was a dragonfly. Square in the bridge of my glasses. The wingspan litteraly was the width of my glasses. The last thing to go thru it's mind was it's *** as it spread over my lenses.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had not worn a helmet since Ohio dropped its helmet law. Last fall I had a little accident and my Mom bought me one for Christmas, a HD 3/4. When I tried it on it took me a while to remember how to do up the chin strap.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Cerise
Intermediate

I do live in a state with a helmet law....personally I think it should be your choice, but that is a different topic.

I choose to wear a full face.....much to the horror of most of my acquaintences. When I started riding years ago I wore a 3/4 with a snap on shield for the cold weather. Then I got this freaky allergy *your allergies change as you age and your body chemistry changes* that causes me to break out and hive when my skin gets cold. I went to a full face and it helps some but not when it's 35 out. [&o]

Anyway as time went on I got use to the full face helmet and found I just felt better or more secure with it on and wear one all season long. In fact I just bought a new helmet GMAX GM68S *2007 helmet of the year at web bike world*. The graphics on the grey looks a lot better in person, and ok I like the leds on the back...lol.
Akuma makes a sweet line of military themed helmets with led lights on the back and I think a light you can turn on at the visor too.

~Cerise

Old 02-23-2008, 06:20 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Full face for me.... Having been down before and having the helmet save my a$$....

Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cold weather, I wear an HJC modular...cool weather I'll wear an HJC 3/4 with face shield. Early spring I'll swap out the face shield with the sun visor. When it gets warm enough I'll wear either a backwards ball cap, a bandana, or headwrap. I'm thinking of getting a half helmet for wandering around in states that have helmet laws, though. My tentative requirements are comfortable, DOT approved, and a fair price, preferably around $50 or less. I might be willing to pay a bit more for comfort and interior quality, which means I have to actually try it on before I buy. Shoei's don't fit me. HJC's do. Nolan's are good helmets, but they just aren't quite right for me.

Wearing or choosing a helmet (or not) is a combination of choice, comfort, and risk management. Price factors in, but I figure if someone voluntarily CHOOSES to wear a helmet when they aren't legally required to, why not get the most comfortable, best-fitting helmet your noggin can wear, regardless of price?

Teek

Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in PA. Licensed, been riding 2 1/2 decades. Fully legal. We have mandatory conditional helmet regs. I could go without if I wanted.

I do not want. Full faced, 99.95% of the time. If it's wickedly humid out, and I mean WICKED BAD humid and the car is busy elsewhere, I might break out the 1/2 helmet. Just being hot isn't enough to make me give up the full-faced because most of them flow air very well *and* keep the sun off my face = actually being cooler while in motion.

I know someone who doesn't have a lower jaw, can't speak and can't eat solid food because he hit a curb at 15-20MPH with a 1/2 helmet.

No thanks.

Quick Reply: do you wear a full face helmet?