Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Rider

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Easy Rider

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

ORIGINAL: nazareth27

Back to the helmet comment,I saw those everywhere too. I had a purple metallic flake on tho in the seventies when i was 5 and it was for adults. Used to shake around on my head when i rode my ape hanger bicycle with the banana seat playin "ghost rider"....

top speed of captain america was 70??
Yes.
Where did you get/find that information dealing with the 'top speed'?

Not saying it isn't accurate, but in all the information I've ever seen dealing with the 4 Panheads used in the movie, and the various interviews with Ben Hardy I've read, I don't recall any mention of the bikes being limited to a certain speed.

I do know for a fact that I use to travelcoast to coaston my '49 chopped Panhead, and it would easily run more than 70 MPH, so even if the engines used in the movie bikes were 'stock' they should top out at more than 70 (unless they had some type of mechanical limiter installed).

Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
HDHornet
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a Sportie in Wild Hogs!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

ORIGINAL: nazareth27

Back to the helmet comment,I saw those everywhere too. I had a purple metallic flake on tho in the seventies when i was 5 and it was for adults. Used to shake around on my head when i rode my ape hanger bicycle with the banana seat playin "ghost rider"....

top speed of captain america was 70??
Yes.
Where did you get/find that information dealing with the 'top speed'?

Not saying it isn't accurate, but in all the information I've ever seen dealing with the 4 Panheads used in the movie, and the various interviews with Ben Hardy I've read, I don't recall any mention of the bikes being limited to a certain speed.

I do know for a fact that I use to travelcoast to coaston my '49 chopped Panhead, and it would easily run more than 70 MPH, so even if the engines used in the movie bikes were 'stock' they should top out at more than 70 (unless they had some type of mechanical limiter installed).

maybe with the kind of riding position and the length of the forks, there was a speed at which it became unsafe.

after all, it was a movie prop and didnt have to be built for use every day, and there WAS a backup in case.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 AM
thruster
Tourer

ORIGINAL: butster

Ok now that I have everyones attention check out my bike of he month nomination for 6066er.

Thanks
Some people just need to leave mum and dads computer alone and go to bed.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol...they were Pans..and the 49 EL HydraGlide and the 51-57 FL HydraGlides were in fact PANHEADS when referenced by engine. Neither were Indians. And NEITHER were Sportsters. And YES the top speed on that bike WAS 70 mph because of how it was constructed...it had nothing to do with the engine or tranny.

Ever ride a rigid panhead with an inverted SPRINGER on the front!? 70-75 feels a bit....nerve-racking......to say the least[:-]. Look closer at the pic...there was no brace on the forks...alot of older chopper builders used to split forks and f*ck up their bikes (*OR DIE*) because of this type of mod being that the materials used and the structural properties OF those materials (how they react to the laws of physics and the material interactions with related parts) were not as widely known and accounted for as they are today. Yeah, it wasn't all that long ago...but it WAS around the time when choppers were just starting out. Alot has changed over these past few decades.

Oh and HDHornet...wild hogs was gay. REAL gay.

And before anyone else trys to say it...NO the mid-fifties K models (Sporty pre-runners) were NOT a variation of the Panhead...they were FLATHEADS with Pan-styled covers.

(I have argued this many a time, believe it or not [>:])

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
sbryant
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HDHornet

There was a Sportie in Wild Hogs!
AND, theres a sporty in my garage...and I am positive its not a panhead

Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Ironhorseman
Cruiser

They were vtwin Honda's. Sochiro Honda made 2 prototype Shadows and made the Japanese Version of the movie without Godzilla, by that time Godzilla wanted to much money, so he got Jack Nickleson to play the part of Johnny Soko. The original part called for them to ride Dreams, but Honda wanted to see if the shadow would sell. Well 40 years later and the Shadows are still around, what would of happened it they rode Goldwings?

Of course I could be wrong, probably am, and I even admit that I made that up, but what if?
Don't make me mad or I'll shoot you with my finger rockets! Ah.....Giant Robot.....you got my back, damn where did he get off to?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Ric27
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

Peter Fonda never rode a bike in the movie either. He had a stunt double named "Rampart" that did all his riding FOR him.
Watch it again and get back with your correction to that statement.

Ric

ps Hopper (Billy) had a Sportster tank on his bike.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The two bikes that they acquired after their drug run were indeed PanHeads, BUT, what kind of bikes were they that they rode for their drug run at the begining of the flick?

And I don't know the answer. But does anyone remember that?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Ric27
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: coltsfan

The two bikes that they acquired after their drug run were indeed PanHeads, BUT, what kind of bikes were they that they rode for their drug run at the begining of the flick?

And I don't know the answer. But does anyone remember that?
The were 2cycle dirt bikes. Don't remember the brand.

Ric

Quick Reply: Easy Rider