Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is my question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 PM
primeaus883
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is my question?

I have a 06 883L. I have the stock air cleaner, stock pipes (drilled baffles out), Sorgys stage 1 re-jet kit. I like the loud sound but can't really afford Vance and Hines shortshots right now. If I buy Cycleshacks exhaust what do I need to do if anything, like I said I have already done the re-jet from sorgys, next thing what can I do for my blow-by problem will a K&N filter do anything for that or is there some kind of modifacation to the stock air cleaner that I can do to get it more air, I thought that someone had posted a mod for the stock air box where the breather bolts have a hose or something that blows the extra oil back into the intake. Can you guys help a buddy out with some advise? I bought the bike in January of 07, it had 4505 miles on it, I put 6300 miles on it since. I love my bike, just not real bike smart, I have figured out how to do some things on my own, just don't understand everything you guys are saying about baffles and back pressure and what I need and don't need. This is the first bike I have ever owned, I was into sports more than working on cars and stuff. Thank you for all your help.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Here is my question?

You can snag a breather and aircleaner bracket kit off ebay for pretty cheap, then just pick up an Aircleaner that suits you and a k&n.

You can't really fix the oil puking on a stock airbox without some heavy and very creative modification.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: primeaus883

I have a 06 883L. I have the stock air cleaner, stock pipes (drilled baffles out), Sorgys stage 1 re-jet kit. I like the loud sound but can't really afford Vance and Hines shortshots right now. If I buy Cycleshacks exhaust what do I need to do if anything, like I said I have already done the re-jet from sorgys, next thing what can I do for my blow-by problem will a K&N filter do anything for that or is there some kind of modifacation to the stock air cleaner that I can do to get it more air, I thought that someone had posted a mod for the stock air box where the breather bolts have a hose or something that blows the extra oil back into the intake. Can you guys help a buddy out with some advise? I bought the bike in January of 07, it had 4505 miles on it, I put 6300 miles on it since. I love my bike, just not real bike smart, I have figured out how to do some things on my own, just don't understand everything you guys are saying about baffles and back pressure and what I need and don't need. This is the first bike I have ever owned, I was into sports more than working on cars and stuff. Thank you for all your help.
Chances are good that you're running too rich (there's a switch!). Your engine is designed to run at roughly a 13/14:1 air/fuel mixture. You've increased the fuel amount but not the air amount by retainingthe stock air filter. This can act as a "choke" because you are choking it for air based on the increased fuel of the larger jets and this can contribute to your blow-back. The first thing to do is put on a free-flow AC.

A set of Cycle Shacks, or any other free-flow exhaust, will likely not require any special treatmentonce you get the new AC since you've already donea rejet. I would highly recommend, after adding the new AC, that you get the bike on a dyno. Sorgy's sells a one-size-fits-all jet kit and there really is no such thing. Your bike should be properly jetted according to its needs after your intake and exhaust have been opened, although Sorgy's kit is a starting point.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
primeaus883
Advanced

so if I put on a screamin eagle air cleaner that will help both the choking and the oil puke right? If so where is a good place to find a good deal on a screamin eagle air cleaner kit? thanks for all your help.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a Howlin' Chicken (screamin' Eagle) air cleaner from chicago HD for 20% off retail.
http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/

Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

Primeaus,........Here is a picture of a breather bolt kit used to divert oil vapors and oil condensation away from the filter. It can be found on the JP cycle catalog available on line.You need to familarize yourself with the different components of your bike's engine, etc. The only way you can do this is to study and read a lot about it. If you don't have a manual, advise you get one. It most definitly gives good descriptions. I too have an 06 883. You will be able to understand much more once you fully understand the parts we are talking about on the forum.

[/align]