Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, that didn't last long...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, that didn't last long...

I took the bike into Biggs HD this week, so they could install the rear brake pads they were supposed to install last week. I also had them look at the stereo system bought from Motorcycle Tunes, to see if they could install it. They looked at it, and hemmed and hawed, and basically came to the conclusion that they didn't want to mess with it.

However, I talked to one of the techs, and pointed out the battery tender connection under the tank. He though that I could probably connect to that to power the stereo, although it isn't switched, so I'd have to unplug it every time I turned the bike off.

Well, I thought, that was worth a try. I could velcro the amp inside one of the saddle bags, and run thew wires under the seat. So, I went to Radio Shack and bought some wire connectors, then to AutoZone for a connecter that would mate to the battery tender connector.

As soo as I got home, I spliced the wire connectors, then trotted out to the driveway to connect the amp to the battery tender cable. I plugged it in, just to see if the little LED on the amp would come on. It did, for about one second. Then something inside the amp went POP!, and smoke started curling out of it.

So much for one 200-watt amp. I opened the 5Ah fuse in the amp power cable, and it was fried, the way it was supposed to be, but it obviously didn't fry before destroying the amplifier. So, now I have two expensive, and completely non-functional speakers.

Great.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Djstorm100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well, that didn't last long...

pictures would help out alot.. posted up specs on the amp and the wiring diagram to do my best to help you out

Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have a warranty on it? if not, find a similar style amp and just wire it to the battery like any normal amp would be. Use an inline fuse (whatever the amp calls for) as well as the on-board. The inline will catch the brunt if it happens again, and the onboard will save your amp should it make it through the first one.

Any 200 watt amp would work I'd think, you're still running a 12volt system. Either that or pick one up for the stereos on the Baggers if they have replacements for pretty cheap.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use an inline fuse (whatever the amp calls for) as well as the on-board.
I DID! The amp blew anyway.

The 5Amp fuse did, too, but the amp went first.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Why a 5A fuse on a 200 watt amp? That seems strange to me. And did you run it directly off the battery?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5amp fuse on 200 watt amp?.....no way....amp maker is tugging yer ********* with those specs....Those guys are famous for inflating their specs......They are stating "peak" watts, not RMS or continuous watts.....You prolly only have a 30 watt RMS amp.

One of two reason it blew: You either wired it incorectly or it was faulty out of the box.....seek refund or swap and try it again.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

trade the bike in for a bagger & get it over with[8D]Sportster & stereo don't mix[&:]

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shhhhhhhs!...Dale gets VERY upset if you suggest he shoulda done that to start with.....Now he thinkin he shoulda bought a Dyna......And if he does he'll slap bags n shield and stereo on it too......and still need a bagger

Dale, here is what you do....do what I did.....there is no other way.....This way you get it all....Sporty, Dyna, Bagger all under one roof, but never on the same frame....Oh, and make sure to install the dance pole too!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

Shhhhhhhs!...Dale gets VERY upset if you suggest he shoulda done that to start with.....Now he thinkin he shoulda bought a Dyna......And if he does he'll slap bags n shield and stereo on it too......and still need a bagger

Dale, here is what you do....do what I did.....there is no other way.....This way you get it all....Sporty, Dyna, Bagger all under one roof, but never on the same frame....Oh, and make sure to install the dance pole too!

[sm=funnypostabove.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: twisty571

trade the bike in for a bagger & get it over with[8D]Sportster & stereo don't mix[&:]
+1

Quick Reply: Well, that didn't last long...