Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost wiped out/new rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
kelton3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost wiped out/new rider

I know the statistics for new riders--within the first 2 weeks, crash. Even though I'm aware of this, I believe at this stage I have to slow down and take it easy. Saturday I was rounding an unfamiliar corner, crossed over into the other lane, applied my brakes while still leaning, a car comes around the corner, my bike is wobbling all over, going about 25mph, the car slams on brakes, I finally stopped, my throttle is wide open, and shut the bike down 5 feet from the car. @##(*& hell.... What's funny is I just completed the safety motorcycle class 2 hours earlier. Needless to say, I was very careful for the rest of the day. I need to regain my confidence, but not over confident... Just wanted to share this with everyone...

[IMG]local://upfiles/54311/883F2E685DAE4D67880A0D509C1BB702.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Almost wiped out/new rider

Glad you're ok. This is a good lesson, you have to remember, the bike will always go where your eyes are looking. If you look at the other lane or the oncoming car, that's where you are going to wind up. Always look through the turn at a point ahead, in your lane, where you want the bike to go. Never anywhere else.

Keep practicing and good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Iwas going through a 3 way stop sign a few weeks ago, my turn to go but a truck decided it ws his turn and went. I was on his drivers side in the middle of the intersection slamming on my breaks and cvussing him out. Had him afraid to even look over. Never guess what he was holding to his ear while he ran the stop sign. [:@]

Old 04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cHarley

the bike will always go where your eyes are looking.
+1

I found that my low speed handeling improved 10 fold just by turning my head. Everyone always says to "look where you want to go". I always amend that and say keep your eyes straight (ish) and turn your head where you want to go. If you want to do a low speed u-turn, put your chin on your shoulder. It helps if you have an owl neck too...

Also, you didn't mention which brake (or both) that you applied. You very rarely (if ever) want to use front brake in a slow speed turn. Dragging the rear brake is okay and helps sharpen the turn a little. It's called trail braking. The biggest thing to remember is that when turn at slow speed you feel like the bike is about to fall, but in reality, all you need to do is just give it a slight twist of the throttle and it will stand right back up straight.

Keep practicing, just ride safe. You'll get it.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DSnoopy

Iwas going through a 3 way stop sign a few weeks ago, my turn to go but a truck decided it ws his turn and went. I was on his drivers side in the middle of the intersection slamming on my breaks and cvussing him out. Had him afraid to even look over. Never guess what he was holding to his ear while he ran the stop sign. [:@]
That's my second favorite close call. My most favorite was the soccer mom in the mini-van that was so busy singing that she never saw me. I stood there in the middle of the intersection thinking "Is American Idol in town this week?"

Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PS - Looking where you're going is also how to snowboard. So go hit the SLOPES!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
HotrodsandHarleys
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kelton3

[IMG]local://upfiles/54311/883F2E685DAE4D67880A0D509C1BB702.jpg[/IMG]
If you look real close you can still see the pucker mark in the seat. [sm=lol.gif]

Old 04-01-2008, 05:09 PM
billmc7
Cruiser

You gotta watch out for freaking idiots. I was a red light waiting to make a left tun, there was a cage accross from me doing the same thing had his left blinker on and everything. what do thing he did when we got the green arrow, yep he went straight through the intesection. I didnt start my left turn yet cuz I figured he would do something stupid.His O.L. was yelling at him the whole time the light was red, when it turned green he just floored it. cell phones or bitchy "old lady's" take your pick.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
hogsport
Road Master

ORIGINAL: billmc7
cell phones or bitchy "old lady's" take your pick.
Hmmm, I guess I would pick the cell phone.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 PM
rmcbride
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: hogsport

ORIGINAL: billmc7
cell phones or bitchy "old lady's" take your pick.
Hmmm, I guess I would pick the cell phone.

Same here........ you can turn off the phone....

Quick Reply: Almost wiped out/new rider