Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing New V&H Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 AM
esoterra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing New V&H Pipes

Greetings,

I'm going to install V&H Shortshots & Fuelpak on my '08 Nightster.

I asked HD if it would void my warranty if I did it myself and they said "Yes". I was also told that if HD installed the pipes that the bike would need to be Dyno'ed to get the fuel mixture just right. I thought that was what the Fuelpak was for. Is this BS? Has anyone else installed there own pipes? I know that EFI engines are more technical than carb. and I know that Dyno'ing the bike will get it close to perfect for tuning, but I was under the impression that the Fuelpak codes made the adjustments for the type of bike and pipes. I like to learn and do things myself, which is part of the reason I bought the bike. My cost $700, HD's cost $1600 (they also said I had to upgraded the air cleaner).

Sean

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 AM
NightTrain08
Banned
Default RE: Installing New V&H Pipes

That is BS. Install it yourself, you get the settings from VH website. No dyno needed because they have already done the dyno to get the settings. As for the warranty, if your dealer is that big of a bastard, if you take it in for service just take off the fuelpak and then put it back on when you get it back.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 AM
esoterra
Intermediate

That's what I thought. Everything I've read at V&H tells me this is a Do It Yourself project.

I'm surprised my "Buds" at HD are pushing the Dyno shop that much.

Thanks!

Sean

Old 04-11-2008, 07:21 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will void your warranty. What I did is save all my original parts, just in case. If something goes wrong, put the original pipes back on. You will definately need the S/E stage one air cleaner. The fuel pack will be just fine, it is almost as good as having a dynotune. A dynotune would be better only because every bike has subtle differences.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 AM
blackout85
Intermediate

Maybe it's just in MN but there's a law that doesn't allow manufacturers to void warranties on self service if records are kept, and like Whitedogg said: keep your old stuff just in case.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....THIS is not entirely correct ("already done the dyno")..........Example: I have the PC 111........came w/ a map for the stuff I was putting on.....but that is just an average....every machine is unique, even though they are mass produced......mainly, it is difficult toaccomodate for theALTITUDE that you live in.........

I got a DYNO at my indy and my preset map was not really that close....the indy tuned for each cell in the PC11.(not sure , but i think there are 60 cells???).....anyhow,..the preset is kinda an average, like I said..and my bike really WOKE UP w/ the DYNO...

SO, to get the best result (note: BEST result) a dyno is in your best interest......and your fuel economy will be much better as well.............it is worth the money...mine was $200.00.......

AND this is just an opinion from my DYNO guy........said the PC111 is the way to go,,,THAT IS HIS OPINION....

BUT nighttrain is kinda right...it will give good results as a bolt on item
.................BINNY inda ATL....................
ORIGINAL: NightTrain08

That is BS. Install it yourself, you get the settings from VH website. No dyno needed because they have already done the dyno to get the settings. As for the warranty, if your dealer is that big of a bastard, if you take it in for service just take off the fuelpak and then put it back on when you get it back.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Darett
6th Gear

even if the stealership installs the pipes it will void the emissions part of the warranty(big deal) I had the straight shots installed at the dealership(because I got no skills)and I didnt have to dyno it