Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safest Highway lane

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Safest Highway lane

Whatever lane affords me the opportunity NOT to be beside another vehicle, and I watch closely on ramps and exits. Sometimes people want to exit right from the far left lane and vice versa. If another cage is beside me, I am on my toes a little more.
Teek

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM
jb4me
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mostly the left but here in east tn they will turn left out of the right lane and viceversa best to watch everybody at all times

Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

&nbsp\\;I doesn't make any differance just protect the lane you are in and&nbsp\\;always keep in the back of your mind&nbsp\\;all these CAGERS&nbsp\\;is out to KILL me!!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

I ride the freeway daily when commuting to work here in Southern California (I-10)&nbsp\\;70 miles round trip on a 1200 custom with no windsheild and 1/2 helmet.&nbsp\\; It is an adventure to say the least.&nbsp\\; I ride in the lane which gives me the most cushion between vehicles and do not change lanes until cars approach my space.&nbsp\\; The left lane can be great lane to run in, but not when the flow of traffic is 80 to 90 mph.&nbsp\\; If you are cruising 75, you will difinately have someone riding your tailpipe.&nbsp\\; Always anticipate the cars in other lanes to cut you off.&nbsp\\; Letting go of the throttle will slow you down in a hurry if need be, and hitting the throttle will get you passed a situation in a hurry as well.&nbsp\\; I don't recommend using the throttle screw, though it is comfortable, it should be reserved for open highways with little to no traffic.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer

I also vary the lane I am in based on traffic flow. I look for the lane that gives me the best cushion. I also look for the best position in the lane that gives me the most cushion and makes me the most visible.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
will227457
Road Master

Far left lane moves with the flow of traffic better only have people coming in from one side not two and there is a shoulder normally..which I have had to use to avoid cagers who are not looking out and blindly switch lanes....of course this only happens in traffic when it is flowing i make it a point to not be in anyones blindspot.....

Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Bill K.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VISIBLE yup I bought that inexpensive kit that converts the rear directionals to red running lights as well as stop and directionals, it really lights you up good from behind and makes you much more visible. Car drivers in Miami are very aggresive and always in a big hurry to get home to that nagging wife.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Pyper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right lane is called the driving lane, the left lane is called the passing lane. Here in North America everyone uses both though.
I drive in the right lane and change lanes if cars are merging onto the highway to let them in.
If cars are too slow in the right lane, pass them on the left then get back into the right lane.
If you are near or behind a truck, pass him or back way off. Those retreads can make a mess out of&nbsp\\;your life&nbsp\\;if they break loose.
Even with the hammer down in the left lane, someone will be on your *** before you know it.
I tried that in Europe, crusing in the left lane on a seeming deserted highway&nbsp\\;at 100 mph and looked in my review to see a Jaguar patiently waiting about 10 inches off my ***. Moved over and couldn't even see him in the distance less than a minute later (I was still cruising at 100 MPH)

Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
will227457
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bill K.

VISIBLE yup I bought that inexpensive kit that converts the rear directionals to red running lights as well as stop and directionals, it really lights you up good from behind and makes you much more visible. Car drivers in Miami are very aggresive and always in a big hurry to get home to that nagging wife.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
not to highjack, bubt who make the kit to convert your directionals to running/brake lights? and will it allow me to get rid of the big dorky tail light?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

You will normally find me in the far left lane going 75+ or in the HOV lane.&nbsp\\; At one time or another, I get in all of the lanes depending on traffic.

Quick Reply: Safest Highway lane