Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sportsters given a bad name?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
nightster77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsters given a bad name?

everyones giving me crap couse id like to get a sportster nightster.my freinds who have softails are like dont get that its a sportster.so whats wrong with that.then my wife shes not sure she likes the nightster.i dont care i like em but just wondering whats up with everyone not likeing the sportster???

Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Lord Bundrick
Cruiser
Default RE: sportsters given a bad name?

who cares what they think, it's the bike you want.&nbsp\\; A few people will toss out "it's a girl's bike" and **** like that but for most of us who want to buy new, i know i couldn't afford a $15K dyna or softail so the sportster is a perfect fit.
&nbsp\\;
All the old riders will tell you they started on a sportster and then upgraded later, but i would say 75% of the time they have kept the sportster because they love them.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Go ahead and get it. All the softie owners will lighten up after about the second time of dusting them from light to light.
And then just tell them that you bought it because you wanted to have fun when riding. Not fall asleep.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have both Softail and Sportster, who gives a ****? Ride what you like
I know how some big twin riders are like, at least I don't look at Sportster that way. Ride what you love is all that matters, know what I am saying?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

A bike doesn't have to be the size of a small car to be "cool".&nbsp\\; A 1200cc bike isn't small.&nbsp\\; I'll always own a sportster.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:04 PM
crazyiven
Advanced

Took a ride to Gateway one day.&nbsp\\; There were about 50 bikes there at the store. Out of all the bikes my nightster alway had the crowed around it when people were checking them out. My friend i rode with had a dressed out roadking, he was laughing at the fact thet they were hovering around my bike.

&nbsp\\;Just tell them not to be haters lol

Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
jj_dahlheimer
Novice

Bottom line buy it, ride it, love it. Screw everyone else. More explanation below. But I would buy a 1200, you will want it if you buy an 883 and it don't cost that much more.

Well I read a lot about them before I bought one. And there is always some one that has something to complain about. Most responses I got was it is a womens harley, it is a poor mans harley, and they vibrate too much. Well I look at it like this me I am a smaller guy 5' 7" and about 150 pounds when I bought mine so there is no way I would be comfortable on any of the real big ones I would probably fit well on a soft tail or something of similar size but a sportster makes sense for me and this is probably the reason they call it a womens harley. Second at 20 years old, I had just bought a house the year before, then got married, and I always pay cash and since I did not have 12+ to spend the sportster just made sense so maybe it is a poor mans harley but it is still a harley and compare it to prices of other 1100 - 1300 cc bikes and they are really close in price and they hold their value as long as you don't buy new. As for the vibrations this changed in 04 but I have a pre 04 bike and I say toughen up be a man the vibrations don't bother me at all I notice them at 75+ but they have never bothered me. Plus a sportster is very versatile bike, you can do a lot of sweet mods for a very reasonable price. I would like to buy one just so I can buy the 250 rear tire kit for 1000 put on a custom tank, and chrome out the forks, put on chrome wheels, and you would have a bike that looks a lot alike a custom for a lot less. All this can be bought of ebay for real reasonable as long as you do most of the work yourself. Just my .02.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
racinorange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you know it's getting to the point where some big twin owners won't even wave back to you when you ride by...what the???? Anyone who puts this kind of spin on riding must be a weekender/wanna be biker....because a REAL biker knows that ANY bike is freedom, and anyone riding is a brother/sister...this crap is for R.U.B.'s and wanna be's who think they know what's what...but don't have a clue.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Another example, yesterday I rode my Fatboy to a local Harley dealer to pick up some accessories, one guy pulled into the parking lot with a custom build hardtail chopper, 124ci tp engine, needless to say a custom killer paint job, 260 rear tire, everything chrome. I would say it is worth $40,000, he didn't even look at me, his forehead is about 20 degree up the air walking around the parking lot, what a guy, I think I should cry, my softail is not as good as his hardtail.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jj_dahlheimer

Bottom line buy it, ride it, love it. Screw everyone else.&nbsp\\;
Just make sure you use protection before screwing everyone. The cost of child support would kill you and then you couldn't even afford a Sportster.

Quick Reply: sportsters given a bad name?