Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield on a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 AM
pancho
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate windsheilds, but after we took a 1400 mile trip and spent what seemed like forever one morning riding in the rain, I bought a H D QD sport sheild and I gotta go along with everyone else, for crusing down the road, wow, it's nice. And it comes off like right now, if you want it off of there. Be interesting to see how it works this fall in the cooler weather.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield on a Sportster?-hpim1036-gages-viii.jpg  
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Memphis Fats is the toughest and has a nice looking mount that stays in place when it is removed. Harley is the safest in a crash and removes completely. They are both excellent quality and quick on and off. Sporty looks best with her clothes off, but she still looks gorgeous wearing a potato sack.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not a fan of windshields on Sportsters and for years went without one. This spring I bought a Memphis Del Rey cause I was sick of getting lifted off the bike over 65MPH. To be quite honest, the Del Rey looks so good on my bike that it actually has enhanced the look. I was quite pleased with the turnout. As far as wind protection, it provides some, but I still get a face full of wind; it does lesson rider fatigue though. It's a great windshield for short hops and small freeway runs. If if was to be doing any long range highway runs, this ain't the sheild. As a matter of fact for me, the Sportster aint the ride....But I will always love it...

Old 08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

I purchased the memphis shades 17" slim, works fine and for a windshield it does not look that bad. I intended to take the shield off when doing short runs, but to be honest the only time I have ever removed it was to clean the bike. Running 50+ miles everyday to work and back at highway speeds, the shield is nice.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
ancfaber
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
I purchased the memphis shades 17" slim, works fine and for a windshield it does not look that bad. I intended to take the shield off when doing short runs, but to be honest the only time I have ever removed it was to clean the bike. Running 50+ miles everyday to work and back at highway speeds, the shield is nice.
I purchased a Memphis shade slim 17 gradient black for my all black Nightster and I'm very happy: no more bugs on my face, no more stones on my eyes.
It looks nice to me too.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the Memphis FAT on my Nighster, and I think it's only a 13" (I'm short), and it's clear at the top, with black at the bottom. Went with the fat because when I had a HD "Sport" shield on my 883, I hated it. Got all kinds of buffeting. I had not had a problem with a shield I had on my previous bike so figured maybe it was because the Sport shields are narrow. Anyway, love the Fat - prevents the fatigue I get from fighting the wind at highway speeds, but still gives me plenty of wind around the face. Yeah, the Nightster looks better withOUT a windshield, and it looks better withOUT saddlebags - but you have to make your bike functional for your own purposes. My windshield is detachable, so it's the best of both worlds.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldogy
What kind of a windshield are you running on your Sportster? Do you like it or would you do differently?
ray, the oldogy
I run the quick detachable touring windshield from Harley.

If I were to go with another windshield, it would be a frame mounted Vetter Windjammer. The fork mounted windshields give you a real fun front end wobble when you start passing 105MPH...

Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freekdawg1200
Still tuffin' it out on my rigid mount,windshieldless bike!
Follow me for a day... If you still don't want a windshield after getting beat up for 1200 or so miles, you're a bigger man than me. I'll buy you a beer.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
99Sportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like shields but hate the one I have. I don't know the model but I'll post a pic sometime later. It's tall and narrow which actually distorts my view. I also dislike the tint.

If I can sell it, I'll get a shorter/wider shield with no tint.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:48 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

How many people do 1200 miles a day on a Sportster?You're already the bigger man obviously!What's your best MPG so far?
Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease
Follow me for a day... If you still don't want a windshield after getting beat up for 1200 or so miles, you're a bigger man than me. I'll buy you a beer.

Quick Reply: Windshield on a Sportster?