Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I get it to stop backfiring thru the carb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
tim@tmgdesigns
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how do I get it to stop backfiring thru the carb?

The enrichment screw is only an idle adjustment. If you look at the pic above that someone included it will help you make the changes yourself. It really is very simple. Change to a 45 or 48 slow jet, and a 170 main. This should correct your problem. The jets just screw in. Dealerships dont make any money on warrentee work so sometimes they are reluctant to be aggressive in getting to it. The jets are availible fgrom the dealer for about $5.

Goodluck,

Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Elwood77
Intermediate

I tryed real hard to get my dealer to fix the same problem... then leaving my HOG meeting the other day it farted and stalled as I was slow speed turning and I dumped it into a curb.
So make sure you fix it.. what started as a hassle for me became a big headache now[:@]

Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

Seems like a common problem for everyone, including me. In this forum you will find everyone who has tackeled this pulling the plug on the bottom of the carb and then screwing in the slow jet to seat (be gentle) and then backing out up to 2 turns depending on what else you have done to the bike, like pipes and jetting. The purpose of seating the jet is to get a starting point for your adjustment. You cannot see the screw while the carb is on the bike but you can adjust it onced the plug is removed. My dealer also blew smoke up you know where but I am starting to recognize the sensation. Bought a service manual and it walked me through the process. I felt better about doing it myself and learned a bit more about the bike in the process.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:46 AM
04XL1200C
Tourer

Could it be that your gas is lower than 91 octane. My '04 1200 will carb fart if I use 87 octane fuel. Gas mileage suffers greatly also if I use cheap 87 octane gas. I only use Sunoco Ultra 94.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:02 AM
dg7080
Cruiser

Well, I adjusted the idle mix jet counter-clockwise as much as 1.5 turns from my starting point, then even played with it the other direction about a full turn. Still got the farts no matter where I set it. Its a random thing when riding, but I can reproduce easily if I try when its at idle and I rev it quickly. Really sucks.. The dealer jetted this thing, so they ought to be able to get it right. I'll probably call them tomorrow and take them a print out of this thread if I can make it over there.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 PM
viperbob94
Stage I

I have a 6 month old 1200C also. It had the same symptoms as you're describing & also had a high-speed hesitation. The dealer replaced the intake & carb seals. Haven't riden much since then, but it seems to have fixed it. Maybe you can tell you lame dealer. I have it fixed at Orange County HD in Irvine, CA. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 PM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

stage 1 solved all of my carb farts. only does it now if i shift too soon. just rejetting and adjusting the mixture works great for a cheap fix. since the bike is so lean you get a bigimprovement for about $100.00

Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your bike is an 06 you already have a 175 main jet on an 883.You would need to bump it up to a 180.The slow jet should be between a 45 and a 48 depending on location.Harley changed the needles so a bigger main jet was used.if you go in to change the main make sure you hold the tube it's in so I don't have to tell you how the other jet goes in.Make sure you replace the bowl screws with allen head screws.They are metric and I forget the size so take an old one with you.I got mine at a hardware store in stainless steel for under a buck each.There are 4 carb bowl screws.After you have the allens installed you can rejet as needed without even removing the air cleaner housing.Make sure you use a very good fitting phillps when you go to take out the carb bowl screws or they will strip out on you.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Scuba Steve
Advanced

This same thing happens on my '06 1200C. I purchased a rejet kit off ebay for about 15 bucks including replacement bowl screws. I haven't installed them yet, as I won't be able to ride for a few months yet. My question is, Will rejetting this thing myself void the warranty? It has a year and a half left, so I don't want to lose this by tinkering. Also, how much does this affect fuel economy? I beleive the kit is 46 Pilot and 180 Main.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 AM
1200cc
Tourer

my 2003 1200cc custom is killing me,,LOL
im glad to here it happens on new bikes as well
something has to be done on mine also..
its a cougher,,spitter what-ever

Quick Reply: how do I get it to stop backfiring thru the carb?