Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR1200 availability

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GB_FXST
A salesman at my local dealer told me that there would be no more XR’s for sale in the US after this first batch of 750.

I do not think that he was trying to lie to me or pressure me to buy one.

I also do not think that his information is correct. It would seem odd for Harley to stop selling them so soon.

TowJam, can you please share the source of your information?
My dealer - HD of North Texas. They also have 4 more XRs on order - two to be shipping the last week of Jan/first week of Feb and two more to ship mid-late February.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TowJam
My dealer - HD of North Texas. They also have 4 more XRs on order - two to be shipping the last week of Jan/first week of Feb and two more to ship mid-late February.
Thank you.

I would like to buy a new one, and do not want to lose the opportunity. I just cannot pull the trigger on such a large purchase now.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GB_FXST
Thank you.

I would like to buy a new one, and do not want to lose the opportunity. I just cannot pull the trigger on such a large purchase now.
Based on what my dealer has communicated to me (and they have an excellent track record with me given all the business I've done with them over the past 4-5 years) and based on postings from dealer reps in other forums, I don't think you'll have a problem getting an XR between now and the '10 model introductions in July. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the XR features trickle down to the rest of the Sportster line in the next model year or two.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TowJam
Based on what my dealer has communicated to me (and they have an excellent track record with me given all the business I've done with them over the past 4-5 years) and based on postings from dealer reps in other forums, I don't think you'll have a problem getting an XR between now and the '10 model introductions in July. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the XR features trickle down to the rest of the Sportster line in the next model year or two.
Good deal. Thanks for your thoughts. I think you are right on all points!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy one sooner rather than later. They might be gone in a year...

Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beardo
Buy one sooner rather than later. They might be gone in a year...
Oh, if it was only so easy …

It is a question of fiscal responsibility vs. immediate gratification: Either 1) wait to pay cash, or 2) now assume debt on a luxury item … I would likely have already gone with option 2 if the economy was in better shape …

Still, my desire for a new one may yet override my prudence ...

Old 01-01-2009, 02:47 PM
beardo
Tourer

It actually is very easy if you want something bad enough. I went with option 2, but I made for damn sure not to be in a position a lot of guys before me have told me NOT to do, as in, get married. I also have no kids and live in a hole in the wall that doesnt really cost me ****. I waited two years for this bike. I was damned if anything was gonna keep me from mine...

Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beardo
It actually is very easy if you want something bad enough. I went with option 2, but I made for damn sure not to be in a position a lot of guys before me have told me NOT to do, as in, get married. I also have no kids and live in a hole in the wall that doesnt really cost me ****. I waited two years for this bike. I was damned if anything was gonna keep me from mine...
Your observation is absolutely correct. I want it, but not THAT bad. My wife and I already have two Harleys in the garage; the XR would make 3. Therefore, my desire is tempered.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM
beardo
Tourer

wife
LOL I have noticed that one word has a lot to do with ownership of bikes...