Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help making a bracket for saddlebags...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need help making a bracket for saddlebags...

Well, I picked up the wife some saddlebags for an extremely low price off of CL. They are for the older sportster's and do not bolt up exactly to her struts. The front bolt matches up fine, it's just the rear one is a bit too low so I want to fashion some sort of bracket to make it fit.

I was thinking some flat aluminum bar bent like a u to attach one side to the strut and the other to the back of the saddlebag. Any other suggestions of what to make this out of to make the bags sturdy? Can I buy a readymade bracket ( not the easy off ones as these bags will be on all the time so she can bring all her stuff with her). Thanks, I know someone will ahve the answer I am seeking.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
dhtx1117
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought of just getting a piece of 3/16" by 1" wide strapping...just bolt it on and position so it bolts onto origional hole that is lower. JMHO

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
anubisss
Banned

Where do I get this strapping you speak of from? Home depot?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Originally Posted by anubisss
Well, I picked up the wife some saddlebags for an extremely low price off of CL. They are for the older sportster's and do not bolt up exactly to her struts. The front bolt matches up fine, it's just the rear one is a bit too low so I want to fashion some sort of bracket to make it fit.

I was thinking some flat aluminum bar bent like a u to attach one side to the strut and the other to the back of the saddlebag. Any other suggestions of what to make this out of to make the bags sturdy? Can I buy a readymade bracket ( not the easy off ones as these bags will be on all the time so she can bring all her stuff with her). Thanks, I know someone will ahve the answer I am seeking.
There are U shaped supports available that bolt to the top of the shock and the strut. They do a good job keeping the bags straight and more importaintly off the shocks and out of the rear wheel. You can buy from HD, but way to expensive. Check out JP, Hogpro, ebay or the like for pricing. Here is a link to the item/description from JP. http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...=Harley&page=1

Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 AM
dhtx1117
6th Gear

Home depot should have some...make sure it is steel, but if you have a metal supply store or a welding shop around town you can prolly get it as scrap or pay like 3 bucks at the most. wthat's how i made my brakets for my 08...2 pieces about 9 inches long on each bag.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
ashenfang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the one's that I made. I refuse to pay $70 for bag supports.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
anubisss
Banned

I don't need the support's as the bags ahve hard backs. It's just that the rear bolt hold does not line up with the strut bolt in the rear. So that is what I need to make a bracket for.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the metal strapping and some washers and on the top bolt at strut use a acorn nut ,this will look good instead of a ugly bolt
3/16 x1" metal will do

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant you just drill a hole in the bag? No one would ever see the new hole. I bought a st of Heritage bags for a hundred bucks and I just drilled hole where I needed them. I never had a leakage problem. Unless you just dont want to tamper with them. It works though.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
anubisss
Banned

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
Cant you just drill a hole in the bag? No one would ever see the new hole. I bought a st of Heritage bags for a hundred bucks and I just drilled hole where I needed them. I never had a leakage problem. Unless you just dont want to tamper with them. It works though.
With the shape of the bag it won't line up with the rear strut bolt, so in a word...no. I am all for simplicity. The bags taper down in the rear so they clear the stock signals.

Quick Reply: Need help making a bracket for saddlebags...