Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Testing a Ign. module. No spark issue. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/339540-testing-a-ign-module-no-spark-issue.html)

racedvl 04-19-2009 08:47 PM

Testing a Ign. module. No spark issue.

Ok, I have no spark on my XL1200C. I have done the simple test on the coil. And it tests out good. I went through the steps in the service manual, so far not finding my no spark situation. But now I'm in the part of the manual where I need some funky adaptors. Is there just a simple way to test the module? I didn't see one in the service manual. I really just don't wanna just throw one at it. Please help........:eek:

sportyguy101 04-19-2009 09:32 PM

hey racedvl, it's pretty simple, what i did was disassembled the deutsche connector at the sensor end and then the posts will be exposed where you can clip some aligators on to it (being careful not to arch the bare posts). Then you will be hands free to take your reading.

racedvl 04-19-2009 10:27 PM

But how do I test it? What am I looking for?

128auto 04-19-2009 10:36 PM

Do you have a test light?
Check the coil for key on power, then check the negative side of the coil while cranking, see if the test light blinks. If it does, the module is ok, it could be something simple. It could also be the crank sensor, do you have any trouble code?

sportyguy101 04-20-2009 05:19 PM

so, what procedure are you following in the shop manual? I know of a similar problem and my bike is experiencing a lazy spark. she's backfiring crazily. I was told it was the cam sensor, i replaced that and the problem became more pronounced. so now i think it is the ecm, it could also be the voes switch... ive practically replaced the entire ignition system aside from the ecm. there are cheap parts online in ebay.

racedvl 04-20-2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 128auto (Post 4887408)
Do you have a test light?
Check the coil for key on power, then check the negative side of the coil while cranking, see if the test light blinks. If it does, the module is ok, it could be something simple. It could also be the crank sensor, do you have any trouble code?

There was no power on the black and white wire, wich I belive is the postive side of the coil. If I put the light on the neg. side, (pink wire) it lights but does not flash when cranked.

Gpsjr10 04-20-2009 09:10 PM

Looking at the service diag. manual... When you turn the key on, does the check engine light come on for about 4 seconds then go off?

racedvl 04-20-2009 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10 (Post 4891986)
Looking at the service diag. manual... When you turn the key on, does the check engine light come on for about 4 seconds then go off?

Does that work on a older carbed bike?

Gpsjr10 04-21-2009 03:03 PM

The manual I have is for an 02... Thought that it might be close to the same set-up, but now I see that is for the 1200S model.

Gpsjr10 04-21-2009 03:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the flow chart from the book for a non-S model. Hope this helps... I can send it to you as a PDF file also if you can't read it.