Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster get's no respect

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a recent trip, I found myself at pit stops in the company of MANY BT's. Guess witch bike everyone was checking out and complimenting. I'll give you a hint, it wasn't one of the BT baggers that all look the same and get lost in the crowd. Sporties are GREAT bikes to modify. BT's are pretty good for DECORATING. All I see anyone do to BT's is mainly UFO light's, scull $hit everywhere, Chrome bolt-on's, And the occasional set of chrome ***** hanging off the back fender (as if you needed a more obvious ***** compensation symbol). I think there is a big difference in modifying and decorating. Going on a trip on a bobbed down sporty is more challenging than on a bagger IMO. Just read goinsideways thread about his trip from Alaska to Oklahoma (A trip most people wouldn't do in a car). I doubt he did it for respect, but I do respect him for taking life by the ***** and doing it HIS way, plus he's a really cool dude. I for one am not seeking respect, I respect myself. I am not trying to justify why I choose to ride a sporty, it's just the way it is. I'm simply sharing my opinion on a topic that has been beat to death way too many times, and I'm bored. Don't get my wrong, I'm SURE the baggers are a hell of a lot more comfortable on a long ride, But I have no desire to own one myself.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:40 PM
sportster2009
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster stage 2.

I can somewhat relate to John 75. I own a 2001 Sportster with a stage 2 upgrade and many chrome accesories. All I hear from the local Harley salesman is trade your bike for a bigger and better model. Also, one long ride will have you here trading before you know it.
Well let me say I just hit 60 and I have taken many long rides and my back feels fine. My Sporty has mega power and can keep up easy with some of the big bikes, no problem. I guess it all depends on weather you like the look of a Cadillac verses a Corvette. I say, stick with the sporty.....

Old 10-03-2009, 04:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by John75
I am sorry Mr. Harley I cannot help you. The other posters replied to me fine, maybe they can help you.
Then why did you make the following statement?

Yea, I have to agree, pass the revolver, another thread etc!!!! I am a new sportster rider and I quess I am wondering what the turf war/ sportster bashing was all about, I see it in other sections, so I figured I would ask here. No one really has answered my question but maybe I will find the answer someday. I'll just keep a ridin'.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:46 PM
blippo
Tourer

Originally Posted by sportster2009
All I hear from the local Harley salesman is trade your bike for a bigger and better model.
I've heard this from the salesman also. I told him, no way. I like what I have

Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Because they get a Bigger and Better Commission ...

Old 10-03-2009, 05:37 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your'e looking for "respect" by becoming a biker?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 PM
crobinson1324
Advanced

Originally Posted by Certainteed
why do you think your bike needs respect?

listen man, there are a lot of idiots in harley-ville. the more you ride, the more you'll understand that you either become an idiot, or you dont.

i like sportsters but if i had it to do all over again, i'd be on a buell. if you don't understand dont worry because someday you will... or you wont. it all depends on your capacity.
i wish you were on a buell bc then you wouldnt be in this forum....

Old 10-03-2009, 06:46 PM
crobinson1324
Advanced

Originally Posted by wilburz
i think what it comes down to is this:

as long as you are cruising on 2 wheels with the wind in your face I dont give a fuct what you are riding. this says alot about person right there. There are a lot of Nancy boys out there that either dont have the ***** to ride or their old ladys won't let them. That is the pussification of America.
hell yeah, now that is what i am talkin about!!! thats all i hear anymore is more ways to pussify the american public, i cant think of anything i can do anymore without "big brother" lookin over my shoulder. i say ride long ride proud ride anything just ride!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 PM
John75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cHarley
Then why did you make the following statement?

Because it is idiots like you I like to mess with.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer

it doesnt matter what you ride some loser will always think his is better and feel it neccisary to bash your ride. i ride what i like

Quick Reply: Sportster get's no respect