Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker's Friend Bag - need input please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Biker's Friend Bag - need input please

I'm thinking about purchasing a Biker's Friend bag. I saw a few other Nightster owners who have them (one had a large and one had a medium).

I was wondering how much stuff you can fit in the MEDIUM and LARGE bags.

I honestly feel like the large is too big for the Nightster but by the same token, it would be really nice to have some extra clothing for extended overnight trips. I think the medium would look much better but how much can you fit in that bag?

Are they really waterproof and as easy to install as the website claims? I have a Motherwell's luggage rack (no sissy bar). Are they worth the money???

Thanks for the feedback. Doesn't matter what kind of Sporty you ride... I'm just wanting some feedback.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like they have a plastic liner that helps keep there shape and I would say that keeps them water proof as well. It would be nice to have one and mount it right behind you and use as a backrest like they show it in some of the pictures on the website. The down side is I think they are expensive. You can get a T-bag that holds 5x as much and comes with a rain proof cover for cheaper.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tara..... I do X-country rides with a large bikers friend bag on my dyna. It's about 13" outside diameter and holds nearly a cubic foot of gear. It is held round by an internal PVC "pipe" that holds the shape and provides the resistance for a really superb lower back rest. I have ridden thousands of miles, rain and shine, on and off-road. the bag looks new and amazingly in even the heaviest of downpours, nothing has ever got wet inside or in the outside pockets. It is not sealed tight when it is secured closed (both ends will open) but the dang thing just does not let water in. I wouldn't drop it in a lake tho....

Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 AM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just ordered a kuryakyn grantour bag which looks similar but seems better than this type of bag... i have an iron and don't want nothing too bulky looking but can still hold alot... i'll let you know how it goes once it arrives ... and i found it for around 120 which is less than these bags... laterz
C

Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the kuryakyn 8 inch bag. It straps down great, great quality and the rain cover keeps clothes dry. The down side is that it does not hold much. about 2 pairs of jeans, a few shirts and socks and underwear and a towel and it is filled up. I am going to find a larger one and use it and mount the 8 inch on the handlebars. I go for long trips and want the extra room.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have the Biker's Friend but I have one from SAC that looks just like it. Notice that most of those bags are built to slide over a sissy bar to help hold them in place. I run a solo seat, no sissy bar, on my Sporty 1200R and the HD detachable rack which is a lot like the Motherwell (have one of those as well but it mars the fender) and I need to tie the bag down with bungees. It sits back far enough on the rack that it doesn't really work as a backrest like it would on the passenger seat of a 2-up seat.
As for waterproof, I'm not familiar with the Biker's Friend but most MC luggage is fairly water resistant and with the bag behind you going down the road most of the rain will be blocked by your body. But I still pack electronics and papers in waterproof stuff sacks from a camping store and pack clothes in either zip lock bags or plastic shopping bags.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Hey T. I was looking at getting open myself. It's going to be eother the large of XL for me. I'd repfer the large but it it doesn't hold a leather jacket, chaps and a helmet with still some room to spare I'll go to with the XL.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM
cmcelrod
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikers Friend

I have the Bikers Friend bag and as far as I am concerned it kicks ***, I bought mine 3 years ago and have traveled extensively with it, it is completely waterproof and made very well. It will hold a ton of stuff if you pack correctly and there are a ton of ways you can attach it to the bike, the reusable zip ties are great! If you are going to put it on a fender you need to get the suction cup pad to save your paint, the fit guide on the website is pretty accurate, I never used the backrest part of the bag, so I have no input on that. hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice! I ordered the large and it should arrive some time today.

George - let me know how you like the XL. I figured it was probably a bit too big for my narrow bike.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got to take some pics of it on the Nightster and let us know how you like it.

Quick Reply: Biker's Friend Bag - need input please