Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster to 48 handlebar/speedo/turn signal conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomorrow

Some of the parts to make this conversion on my 2010 Iron are in at my dealership. I'm going there tomorrow morning and hopefully will have a really good handle on parts/serial numbers that are needed. Our MAJOR disadvantage is that we do not have a 48 on the floor to view. I'll attempt to answer the headlight visor/hood clearance issue as well. Please understand I'm just a rider with a parts guy and a mechanic trying to figure this out--no guarantees, LOL!!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
DaytonaGTS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 09FXDFWDHGS
Some of the parts to make this conversion on my 2010 Iron are in at my dealership. I'm going there tomorrow morning and hopefully will have a really good handle on parts/serial numbers that are needed. Our MAJOR disadvantage is that we do not have a 48 on the floor to view. I'll attempt to answer the headlight visor/hood clearance issue as well. Please understand I'm just a rider with a parts guy and a mechanic trying to figure this out--no guarantees, LOL!!
Sweet, I'm still looking for all the part numbers so I can order all the pieces.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain
Default Part Numbers

Ok, Papadop88 had this right on target many posts ago. After meeting with the dealership today, here's the game plan we're going with for my 2010 Iron. There are two part numbers that are needed for the 48 speedometer:
71988-10, Back cover, instrument ($96)
71980-10, Bracket, instrument ($17)
It doesn't appear that there's enough room to install the new 48 speedo and also to leave the Sportster headlight "hood" in place. Based upon our non-scientific measurements, the two are going to rub against each other and you probably couldn't tighten down the bracket and cover all the way. Just our opinion.
So, that leaves the question of what to do with the headlight. You could order the 48 headlight set-up (mount, shell assembly, lockwashers, etc.) and triple tree, which is angled in the middle, to mount the light to--but all of that is quite expensive for me. You could also drill the lower triple tree and flip the headlight. But we decided just to clear the hood and leave it in place to change out the risers from a stock 1" to 3" (Custom Chrome Black Straight Risers, 3", part number 63-9993, $43). Given that I wanted to add drag bars anyways, I chose the HD Drag Style #56558-95 ($60) and the Black Diamond Collection Grips ($60). I already planned to relocate the turn signals to the upper triple tree, and with these bars it should work. All of the stock cables should work, the only one that will be close will be the brake line--as it sits now, it's got a bend in it and will need straightened but should fit those bars and the risers perfectly. This is just what I'm doing, not necessarily my recommendations to follow. Pics to follow when I get there...hope this helps.

Last edited by WDHGS; 04-21-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been watching this thread. You're all over it, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Been watching the thread also, can't wait to see some finished results. Was going to go with the 3" risers also, after looking at the way the 48 was set up.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM
DaytonaGTS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 09FXDFWDHGS
71988-10, Back cover, instrument ($96)
71980-10, Bracket, instrument ($17)
Thats what I needed, I'm going down to order the pieces tonight... I'll probably drill a hole in the lower triple tree and mount a light there.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Iron Dandee
Intermediate

i think we're all over this thread haha, post pics when installed please!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain

So definitely no clearance on the Headlight hood. Looking at it right now (Cat's parts came in). A little over an inch too short. Need the risers or to flip the headlight. Checking out riser options right now.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

I was originally going to go with 2" risers but didn't want to get that far along only to discover that it wouldn't work and cause me to loose my $#%%^&*!! mind, lol....that's why I went with the 3.5" to ensure I had enough clearance. I just hope it maintains the lower profile look.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain

I got another thread just to check and see if anyone had 3" on theirs and what it looked like. Did you order the three and a half or did you already get them? Just curious. Looks like we are about an inch and a half short when i mocked it up. Was thinking of going and getting a 1 inch spacer and slipping it under the risers to see if that would be enough space to accomodate.

Quick Reply: Nightster to 48 handlebar/speedo/turn signal conversion