Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my dumb oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

go to the link below and scroll down, you will see the homemade 1 littler bottle funnel..

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 AM
dustycanadian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe: cool bike and even cooler idea on the oil filter drip catcher.

I wonder though: did you ever try to put the filter end ratchet on the filter, and then slide the pop bottle over the filet and ratchet and then insert the extension?

That way the whole end would effectively be sealed (or does the bottle catch most of it anyways?).

Being new to Harley V twins: (please correct me if I'm wrong).
The oil reservoir is needed because there isn't enough room in the crank like a conventional engine?
The oil in the resevoir is drawn into the crankcase, out through the cooler, back to the reservoir?

If this is the case, and even though .5L is quite a lot to be over, there isn't really any danger of having too much oil in there is there? Other than the potential for spillage?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 AM
CheezyRiderAZ
Advanced

On the last three Harleys I've owned, the factory manual was incorrect as to the amount of oil needed after draining. I have a factory manual that says a quart is 38 ounces.
Start out with about six ounces less than listed, and keep adding an ounce or two 'til it's full, then write down what is actually needed to bring it to full and you'll know what you need next time.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by CheezyRiderAZ
On the last three Harleys I've owned, the factory manual was incorrect as to the amount of oil needed after draining. I have a factory manual that says a quart is 38 ounces.
Start out with about six ounces less than listed, and keep adding an ounce or two 'til it's full, then write down what is actually needed to bring it to full and you'll know what you need next time.
If that's the case, I'd throw that manual in the closest garbage can. By US measure, a quart is 32 oz.

The safest way to avoid overfilling the oil system, is to initially put in 2.5 quarts of oil and then take the bike for a short 5 - 10 mile ride to get the motor up to normal temperature (you check the oil level hot), and to get any air pockets out of the system. Now, check the oil level and adjust as needed.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dustycanadian
Joe: cool bike and even cooler idea on the oil filter drip catcher.

I wonder though: did you ever try to put the filter end ratchet on the filter, and then slide the pop bottle over the filet and ratchet and then insert the extension?

That way the whole end would effectively be sealed (or does the bottle catch most of it anyways?).

Being new to Harley V twins: (please correct me if I'm wrong).
The oil reservoir is needed because there isn't enough room in the crank like a conventional engine?
The oil in the resevoir is drawn into the crankcase, out through the cooler, back to the reservoir?

If this is the case, and even though .5L is quite a lot to be over, there isn't really any danger of having too much oil in there is there? Other than the potential for spillage?
The oil reservoir is needed because the motor was designed as a dry sump system. The primary reason for this is to reduce the overall height of the motor, as a wet sump would add an oil pan under the crankcase.

See below for an EVO oil flow diagram. There is no cooler on a stock Sporty/EVO.

Overfilling the oil can cause a number of problems, including blowing oil out of the breathers and blowing the dipstick out of the tank. It's much safer, and many people do recommend, running the oil level 1/2 quart LOW.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dustycanadian
Man it can make a mess, Plan and simple. I run my oil level just under 3/4 low. BUT I high rev and my carb will suck my top end dry. lol (its a joke).

You'll find your sweet spot on the stick to fit your riding style. Start at the half mark.

PS: for people who know. I have the small diameter sleeves in my BS II breather tube.

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 04-25-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: PS:
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 AM
dustycanadian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
Lay the bottle on it's side. Cut off the bottom of the bottle, (the part that it normally would stand up on). Next, with the bottle still on it's side, cut off the upper half of the bottle, starting from the removed bottom, up towards the bottle's neck, so you wind up with a U shaped funnel that slips up under the filter.
Just used this trick and damn, that's sweet! A couple of little dribbles to wipe up and bob's your uncle!

One more thing, I was going to go out and buy one of those fancy oil change bans that drains into a sub container that has a cap. Then I thought, hey, I went to the dollar store, bought a 5 litre kitchen storage pan with lid for $1.00, it fits under the bike pretty as you please, put the lid on and take it to the recycler. Leave him the container. NO cleanup required......

Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

1/2 gallon milk jug:

Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 PM
badger1984
Tourer
Default Holy Cow...

I just got done doing my first DIY oil change and I'm very frustrated at the dealership for putting the oil filter on so tight. I thought I was going to knock the bike over I was cranking on it so hard to get it off!

Well, a job well done...fresh 20W50 synthetic and I'm good to go. It's also funny how the book says to use 3.6 quarts and I just used 3 quarts. Ran it, checked it and it's mid on the dipstick.

I'm well on my way to saving enough money to buy more "stuff".... by doing all my own work...now I just have to sell that to my wife!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:17 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by badger1984
I just got done doing my first DIY oil change and I'm very frustrated at the dealership for putting the oil filter on so tight. I thought I was going to knock the bike over I was cranking on it so hard to get it off!
Once the rubber gasket touches the metal, 1/4 turn is all that is needed. I run into the same thing on autos all the time. I have seen the filter twisted and distorted prior to it breaking loose. Tighter is not always better. Same thing goes for oil plugs. WTF they are tightened so tight is beyond my comprehension.

Quick Reply: my dumb oil change question