Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/Tach bracket broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Bedore
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Speedo/Tach bracket broke

The speedometer/tachometer bracket on my 03 XL1200S broke yesterday. It broke on both sides, right at the bolt that mounts it to the steering assembly. I was amazed at the cheapness of the material used. Looks like some pot metal. I figure vibration and the pot holes contributed to the break. Either way, I zip tied the bracker to the steering assembly, and it's solid now. New bracket on order, one week wait.

Anyone else ever have a bracket break on them?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
SportyinYYC
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I ordered the new part from HD and the new one was quite a bit heavier guage metal than the old one. I actually had some trouble getting the Speedo/Tach to fit it.

Haven't had any trouble since.

Cheers

Old 05-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Bedore
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SportyinYYC
I had the same problem. I ordered the new part from HD and the new one was quite a bit heavier guage metal than the old one. I actually had some trouble getting the Speedo/Tach to fit it.

Haven't had any trouble since.

Cheers
Good to hear. I was going to buy the chrome one because I figured it would be better constructed, but I do not like the looks of chrome in that area and don't want to paint it black.

I am glad to hear your bracket was of better construction. Hopefully the one I ordered will be as well.

Last edited by Bedore; 05-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah mine broke last year....I felt that the pressure from the bolts on a small area of aluminium didn't help,so on the new one I fitted larger washers to try and spread the load and support the bracket from vibration....only time will tell If that helps.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Bedore
Cruiser

I am bumping this thread back up. I got the new bracket and had it installed. The new bracket was the same as the old one and it broke within 2 weeks. Needless to say, I got a runaround from the local dealership stating incorrect installation, etc etc. I wrote a letter to MoCo and they called me back and offered to give me a credit for the part. I can use it for anything. Obviously I need the bracket so im going to buy another bracket, although I do not know why as it will probably just break again.

My question to the forum is this: Is there a "proper" way to install this bracket so it does not break? Are there any installation tips, or things that should be done? Would I have better luck if I eliminated the tachometer and installed just a speedometer? Either way when the new bracket comes I will be installing it myself, and would like to gather as much information as I can before I do the install.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
ItsTomFromNorthJersey
Tourer

i have one for sale with a tach off a 09, i doubt its what you need but doesnt hurt to try, check out the classified section

Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Bedore
Cruiser

MoCo gave me a store credit for the cost of a new bracket, so I will have to buy one because I need one, but I was hoping I could gather some tips for "proper" installation here in hopes that it will not break again.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure if it will work or not, but maybe make a sandwich of the bracket between two rubber washers. When Mine broke, I just replaced it. I was going to try that if the new one broke.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 AM
tones78
Stage II

same thing happened to my 99 XLS. i went to the harley dealer by my house to buy the service manual for my bike and not 5 mins later while on the freeway, my tach/speedo bracket broke off at the bolts and flopped forward. i almost **** my pants! i one-handed it to the home depot and got some zip ties and that did the trick. $100 for the replacement bracket!!!!!!!good lord

Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
surazal54
Cruiser
Default problem

it is a die cast material and very sensitive to notching ... best way is to support it front and back with washers to distribute the load ... so you could clamp a small leather or nylon washer between the hard washers to soften the grip ... also I noticed no under washer that lift the support off the top handle bar clamp which has a curve to it and actually strains the mounting holes ... so I made up some spare washers (2) for each bolt , to lift the support about .030 above the clamp surface and that along with 2 stainless clamp washers one on each side, top and bottom, and the affore mentioned leather washers (2) between the hard washers and the support , seem to do the job ... good luck

Quick Reply: Speedo/Tach bracket broke