Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea's on sportster headlight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I got mine from a v-rod, the one with the fairing, then I removed the fairing. I believe it is the same light you are looking for. I made my own mounting block and I have had no problems with aiming the light.
Nice--do you have a head-on shot of the light so I can see the triple tree behind it?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM
ECSparky
4th Gear

This was a 1200N. I removed the eyebrow, turned it upside down & bolted it to a slightly bent homemade bracket that I bolted to the bottom of my fork bracket, I relocated the wiring hole and patched the old one.........

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
DarkS1de
Novice

i saw this while googling for headlight mods http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=604198

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DarkS1de
i saw this while googling for headlight mods http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=604198
Yep, forgot about the Colonel, he has some great mods on his bike, and with the cover for the triple tree it looks perfect. Looks like I'm off to the dealership tomorrow to see how much this might run me....darn forum...darn addiction to bikes...

Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 PM
DarkS1de
Novice

yup, i've been doing the same, wish i had more $, lol

Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM
veritas_man
Intermediate

Ok, so after going through ours of old posts all over the internet this is what I plan on doing. I purchased a cheap $40 5 3/4 in headlight that mounts off the lower tree "block" style. From all the measurements I took I can just swap in my stock HD lense and trim ring. I am going to get a piece of steel stock the fits the mount on the light and bend/shape it to fit. The problem, at least with what I can see about using a stock mount is that the light with contact the neck of the frame and thus not allow you to aim the light down. This is just from a few measurments I took the other night. Bending up a mount is the only way I can see using a stock style headlight. If it all works I'll just take it to get everything powder coated and post some pics.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

I reused mine in the upside down position using a homemade bracket in the lower tree, you have to grind a bit on the chrome ring so you can mount the bulb right side up in the up side down housing. Works great and cost me nothing, also allowed me to move my guages down from the riser to the old eyebrow location. There are a few pics showing it in my album.
Here is my post on it with pics. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...headlight.html

Last edited by HOTLAP; 06-17-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
veritas_man
Intermediate

Idea's on sportster headlight.-triple-tree.jpg

Here is a pic of my "cure" for the upper tree. It wasn't hard just took time and a fine grinding wheel. The headlight is getting painted along with the rest of the bike. I'll post more pics once the front end is back together.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a forward pic but what I did was get a piece of 3/4"X1"X 2"steel stock drilled the appropriate holes and mounted to the bottom tree. I also cut a piece to fit in the underside (concave) part of the bottom tree as a filler for the bolt to have a solid place to mate. I will try to get pics.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas_man
Attachment 161757

Here is a pic of my "cure" for the upper tree. It wasn't hard just took time and a fine grinding wheel. The headlight is getting painted along with the rest of the bike. I'll post more pics once the front end is back together.
Glad to see you're getting it done and can't wait to see the final product. I, like you, didn't like the stock light but went a little different route.

Lights are aftermarket and the braket is custom made like yours. Inginuity, the mother of invention. Good on ya!

Quick Reply: Idea's on sportster headlight.