Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets see you 48's..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM
sothai
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!

Where did you get the bars and is the tank higher than the top yoke by much? Extended cables and hoses?

I popped into HD Guildford when I was over in July and the prices nearly made me cry. The import taxes here are such that mine cost £14k!

UK number plate regs make you puke, eh? Any way you could get away with "clipping" the plate a bit?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM
l30bar
Advanced

Originally Posted by sothai
Very nice!

Where did you get the bars and is the tank higher than the top yoke by much? Extended cables and hoses?

I popped into HD Guildford when I was over in July and the prices nearly made me cry. The import taxes here are such that mine cost £14k!

UK number plate regs make you puke, eh? Any way you could get away with "clipping" the plate a bit?
Sycamore Harley in the Uk supplied the bars for me, they are actually aftermarket Softail Slim bars, yes the tank sits about 1.5 inches above the top yoke, no extended cables or hoses needed for the swap.

Ohhh Guildford HD is expensive anyway....mind you all HD dealers are in my opinion, at least they do the job right.

as for the registration plate, yes this was the plate that came with the bike, it now has a nice little *(some what illegal)* plate on the back.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
sothai
Tourer

Looking forward to some updated pics then. I have the US spec red rear indicator/stops for mine but they aren't fitted yet. Also have the same seat and a set of D&D Bobcats on the way. * I am surprised that you didn't need an extended brake hoes for those bars.*

Been considering the Flat Tracker bars that one guy has on his here - the pics are earlier in this thread. Very nicely done. Trouble is that if I ever went to Bangkok, i'd be stuck in the traffic like a car due to the width. Still, they'd be ok down here.*

What does a side mount for the plate run you over there? *£140 equiv here.*

Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
l30bar
Advanced

I would like the red US spec rear stop/indicators but are not road legal here, so I am stuck with the amber LED stop/indicators instead.
no, the original forty eight bars are higher than mine, so was enough hose as mine are lower but wider.

A side mount is about £140 - £250 depending on style over here, I am not going for a side mount, I am keeping my small plate on the rear (keeping the flow of the bike) for the time being.

my next BIG upgrade is a stage one (i want the Roland sands black velocity stack and the vance and hines Big 2-2 radius pipes with a fuel pack.)...will do that after xmas.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
mrh1275
Advanced

Great to see a set of "hollywood bars" on a 48,just ordered them for my beast, They look awesome ! Thanks for the photos.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
sothai
Tourer

The red rears are legal in the UK for 1964 and earlier vehicles - well, assuming it registered at or before those dates. . They aren't legal here either, but enforcement is non-existent.

After much searching and some great advice, I went with the Powervision and flashed a stock improved map yesterday. I am still trying to get to the bottom of why the K&N installation sheet says I need a 13/16 Allen key to fit the Aircharger??? Also just investigating some dual rate spring shocks. So much to do...

Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
sothai
Tourer

Originally Posted by l30bar
Hi All.
......thought I would chip in and say hello from the Uk, I have a forty eight over here and was sick of the tiny tank (fuel stops) so have a nightster 3.3 gal tank on instead, along with whitewalls, solo spring seat and some hollywood low slung handle bars, smoked turn signals.....
it kind takes away the theme of a forty eight, but for me its how I want mine to look.....

Just an thought, but would a larger headlight blend with the tank size, do you think?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM
l30bar
Advanced

Yeah I think a larger headlight might be on the cards!...like we all say, so many things to do..lol

Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
sothai
Tourer

There are some nice looking 7" ones on eBay, but they are plastic. Cheap enough, Mr G Pig, if you fancy dipping your toe... . Actually, I may grab one anyway.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 AM
l30bar
Advanced

oh noooooo cant do plastic!.....I dont know what size my headlight is actually....I think an old school style one is needed, I did look at a black billet finned grill for my existing headlight but it was £170 which is way to much for a cover!...looked good though

Quick Reply: Lets see you 48's..