Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe motorcycles aren't for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:50 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by X04D
I've had countless problems with my first bike. Some of it was my fault, other things I can't help but think were unavoidable.

Third problem was that my running lights stopped working. Probably my fault when I replaced the bars. Haven't figured the issue on this one yet.

I'm about ready to give up.
Check your wires under the switch housing,on my bar swap the hole where the wire should tuck in out of the way wasn't exactly right and I crimped a wire to my brake light for my rear brake.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
You can email me a copy if you have time!
pm me

Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Notorious688
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy mine.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

I must admit that I let my emotions over the situation get the best of me. I love riding, even though I've only been doing it a short while, and don't think I can actually give it up.

I took it into dealership I bought it from and had a guy take a look at it. He said it was most likely one of the cylinders leaking, and it doesn't seem too bad. He also said that I could keep riding it, I just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't run dry.

He suggested I get the 1200 kit installed, since I already wanted it and it would fix the issue. I think I'm going to go ahead with that and hopefully everything works out.

I love my bike, I just hate seeing it fall apart on me.

In regards to previous questions, I'll try to provide some answers.

To start, it's a 2009 883L. I bought it with 15 miles on it, and put another 1000 on it myself.

The brake was seemingly cut right under the rear reservoir, on the plastic right under the cup. It was a clean cut at around 45 degrees; it didn't look worn or ripped off, but actually cut.

The running lights, well, I can't figure out. I took apart the control housing on the right side and made sure I assembled it properly without pinching any wires. I followed it down to the harness and everything was connected properly, as far as I can tell.

I pulled the fuse and replaced it with a spare. It started working again, so I took a trip. When I got back, the lights were out again. I replaced the fuse again, and no joy. I'm pretty sure I've blown all the spare fuses, without being able to find a solution. I'll have them take a look at it while it's in.

As far as mechanical work, well, I really didn't think it would be an issue. I worked as a mechanic at BMW, and I consider myself competent with a wrench. Diagnosing is not one of my strengths, though. And from what I've seen, even though the basics are the same, working on a bike is completely different (though, a lot more fun).

I'm just going to have to get used to it.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:02 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

If you keep blowing fuses you have a wire pinched or crossed,touching each other,grounding out somewhere.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by twisty571
If you keep blowing fuses you have a wire pinched or crossed,touching each other,grounding out somewhere.
I agree recheck the wires for anything that looks like a pinch or crimp. As for mechanic saying you can keep riding it just make sure it doesn't run dry well I totally disagree with this dudes knowledge, tel them to fix it now and fix it right, I'm sure an 09 is still under warranty. Better yet if its not under warranty and your being drawn to the 1200 kit spend the 500 bux for cylinders and pistons and all you'll need is head gasket and base gasket , get the manual and there's plenty of peeps here more than willing to help.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 07-03-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ridemywg
I agree recheck the wires for anything that looks like a pinch or crimp. As for mechanic saying you can keep riding it just make sure it doesn't run dry well I totally disagree with this dudes knowledge, tel them to fix it now and fix it right, I'm sure an 09 is still under warranty.
I would have pressed the issue if I hadn't decided to get the 1200 anyway. I realize that they should more than likely cover it, but I'm not going to be an ******* and make them do the same work twice when no one actually benefits.

I'm bringing the bike in on Monday to get the upgrade, and the issue will be solved.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Sporty93
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. I must futher add: I've never owned a new bike, and since 1976 all my bikes needed about a season to work the used bugs out. (I started to tear into a carb once to find a bee's ******* in the main jet.) So, don't forget to rule out the animal kingdom.

I'm not making this up.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 AM
pkee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 08 Nightster put less than 1000 miles on . Thats when the vibrations got so bad it was not fun to ride past 40 mph . All the painted parts started to peel . I took it in and thay replaced all the painted parts after 8 weeks of sitting in there shop . Glad it was winter .
Once i got it back i asked what about the vibratoins ? thay said its a Harly and thay all do that . I said not at 40 mph . So i told them i did not want it any more . Traded it in for a 09 Rocker .
This was the best thing i could of done . It is a smooth ride . I am excited to go ride know . Before i was dreding it .
My advice is get rid of it know , up grade .

Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got a lemon, jsut give me your address so I can take the thing off your hands. It's been nothing but problems for you so I won't even charge you....just kiddin.

I don't know about the brake man...do you owe anyone money? The other issues sound like small problems you can handle. Chin up Bikeroo!! At least you'll have a winter project!

Quick Reply: Maybe motorcycles aren't for me