Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   2006 Sportster Suicide Shifter: HELP!!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/546977-2006-sportster-suicide-shifter-help.html)

Andy from Sandy 04-22-2021 11:18 AM

I can't imagine anything more pointless...

I guess that's why it has the name it does!

TRacer 04-23-2021 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy (Post 19881518)
I can't imagine anything more pointless...

I guess that's why it has the name it does!

To paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi, "That may be true,,,,from a certain point of view." In my case, setting up my bike this way allowed me to overcome the limitations of some medical challenges I had at the time, and continue to ride. :icon_bike:

Iron Horse 13 04-23-2021 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by TRacer (Post 19881441)
Hi, I'm the guy from Post #8 on Page 1, over a decade later....

My bike is still set up the same way and years ago I took my then 11-year old son on a 6.600 mile / 4 week "Lap of America" trip with the jockey setup in place. No issues during the trip. Back in 2012 I added a 21" spool front wheel and moved the throttle to the left side of the handlebars so now everything (foot clutch / tank shift / throttle) is on the left. Anywho, it is still a blast to ride but I don't do it as much as I used to as the bike is stored on the Mainland (I moved to Hawaii years ago) so some "re-introductory" seat time is usually needed to get reacquainted before I venture out on the highway. One thing I found is that my bike tends to stay where I parked it last. Best of luck!

i did some research on kits and seen how they did.so i mocked a foot clutch cable up using a shifter rod end.drill and tapped for 2 allen head screws to hold cable.then found some light piping and threw a lightweight shift knob i had laying around.rode for awhile and realized clutch was too grabby.so i readjusted for easier take off.did 80 miles with it.got used to it and hit some red lights.going to do a better looking shifter as soon as i figure what i want to make it out of.i did enjoy the ride.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...bee4abe0cc.jpg

gerald martin 04-23-2021 10:14 AM

pointless

Originally Posted by Midpegs (Post 19878392)
I can't imagine anything more pointless , annoying and above all dangerous than having to constantly remove my hand from the bars for every gear change . Fitting this apparatus to a perfectly good modern motorcycle is quite possibly the sillyest modification ever . Imagine riding up a steep series of hairpin turns and suddenly having to steer one handed .

How about the old hand shift panheads that went millions of miles with that system

apache snow 04-23-2021 12:09 PM

You could get a tank shift and a foot clutch all the way up to 1978 if I remember correctly. The foot clutch was spring loaded and would stay ingaged when you took your foot of of it.So you could put your foot on the ground when stopped. Thats the suicide part. When the clutch got old or out of adjustment it could releace the clutch by it self propelling you into traffic. Being spring loaded you got a very smooth clutch operation.The first Harley I ever road in 1960 at 16 was a 1952 FL with this set up. The stuff people are setting up on a Sportster is not even close to the old factory set ups and dont work a fraction as well.

Iron Horse 13 04-23-2021 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by apache snow (Post 19883794)
You could get a tank shift and a foot clutch all the way up to 1978 if I remember correctly. The foot clutch was spring loaded and would stay ingaged when you took your foot of of it.So you could put your foot on the ground when stopped. Thats the suicide part. When the clutch got old or out of adjustment it could releace the clutch by it self propelling you into traffic. Being spring loaded you got a very smooth clutch operation.The first Harley I ever road in 1960 at 16 was a 1952 FL with this set up. The stuff people are setting up on a Sportster is not even close to the old factory set ups and dont work a fraction as well.

i could put a rekluse auto clutch on it taking off in 1st but i wont...and i agree

Midpegs 04-23-2021 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by gerald martin (Post 19883531)
How about the old hand shift panheads that went millions of miles with that system

Fair point .

Iron Horse 13 04-25-2021 12:22 PM

Found out why i was having problems taking off.had the clutch cable mounted too far away from the pivot point..did some research,found out some great info,remounted in shifter arm right off the pivot point.now i have slippage just like a car clutch..was only able to pull in and oht of garage testing it out.smooth as butter.if this hadnt worked,i was going back to the hand clutch.will really test today when i get off work.next up,foot clutch cable mount

apache snow 04-25-2021 01:29 PM

Now your left hand is free to put down when it starts to fall over to the left. LOL

Iron Horse 13 04-25-2021 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by apache snow (Post 19888137)
Now your left hand is free to put down when it starts to fall over to the left. LOL

lol,not gonna happen.