Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking primary fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking primary fluid...

I drained and replaced priamary with new fluid when I put on new apes and painted everything.

I have a very small leak coming from the inspection cover. I replaced the gasket in there and filled with 1 QT.

Talked to 2 HD dealers and both said inspection cover is just hand tight. Make it tight than do one more crank. Doesnt have to be torqued down like the actual primary cover.

Its not leaking enough to leave on the ground, but you can see the fluid on the cover.

1QT and new gasket, not sure whats going on.

Any help.

Last edited by HD&CUMMINS; 11-20-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 AM
badger1984
Tourer

Two things come to mind:

1. I would look at the actual bolt, isn't there a tiny rubber washer on it or is it too early in the morning for me. That could be defective.

2. There is a reason that the moco calls for a torque setting....I would put it on per spec.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
I drained and replaced priamary with new fluid when I put on new apes and painted everything.

I have a very small leak coming from the inspection cover. I replaced the gasket in there and filled with 1 QT.

Talked to 2 HD dealers and both said inspection cover is just hand tight. Make it tight than do one more crank. Doesnt have to be torqued down like the actual primary cover.

Its not leaking enough to leave on the ground, but you can see the fluid on the cover.

1QT and new gasket, not sure whats going on.

Any help.
uhmm... could it be the gasket got out of place while replacing the inspection cover?... keeping the gasket in place is tricky (coating the gasket with oil helps in keeping it in place while installing the cover).. about torque specs.. if you are willing to torque it to specs then I am willing to find my manual and give you the values.. also... I hate Torx bolts... I am going to replace them with the round head Allen bolts when I get a chance.. Torx bolts are pathetic.. I very much know how to use tools, and even then managed to strip one of those cover bolts............To torque those bolts to specs is a good thing, I was trying to remove this very same cover from a friend's sportster, well, it seems the previous HD mechanic went to town with one particular bolt, so much that I broke my expensive Torx bit.. that **** Harley mechanic evidently didn't use a torque wrench... damn you!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 AM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Thanks guys.

The inspection cover is allen bolts not torx bits, thank god.

It does have a rubber seal on the bolt, Ill check that.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

ohh... sorry.. I got confused.. I thought you were talking about the clutch inspection cover.. :-)

so it is leaking from the primary chain inspection cover??.. weird.. unless the new gasket has a hole in it.. I don't see how it can be leaking from there...

Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Donster48
6th Gear
Default Primary chain inspection cover

Primary chain inspection cover add new gasket and tighten hex socket screws to 7-10 ft-lbs.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:48 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common problem with the inspection cover gasket. Go to your dealer for a new gasket. The correct torque for the allen screws is 40-60 INCH/pounds.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Originally Posted by WRAITH
This is a common problem with the inspection cover gasket. Go to your dealer for a new gasket. The correct torque for the allen screws is 40-60 INCH/pounds.

Ok thanks. I already got a new gasket from the dealer.

Its leaking below the cover. I checked gasket and everything earlier. Well see.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by WRAITH
+1 - But be careful. They changed to a new style rubber gasket a couple of years ago and that new gasket requires changing the metal cover to a new style also. So make sure you use a new style gasket & cover, or and old style gasket & cover, don't mix them up.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:24 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Originally Posted by cHarley
+1 - But be careful. They changed to a new style rubber gasket a couple of years ago and that new gasket requires changing the metal cover to a new style also. So make sure you use a new style gasket & cover, or and old style gasket & cover, don't mix them up.

????

I bought the same gasket that was on bike before changing it and no issues. I dont think I need to change cover.

Quick Reply: Leaking primary fluid...