Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Pipes & The Fuel Pak System

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:44 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vance & Hines Pipes & The Fuel Pak System

Correct, you would be better off getting the download (flash) for your ECM. Now, I am no expert, but I think with the higher end tools (like the SERT) you can do your own re-programming of the ECM, not sure about the PCIII, perhaps one of the experts would chime in about that. As far as I know, all the fuel pack does is ensure you get the right amount of fuel for the pipe/AC combo you are running but it does not alter the programming of the ECM. I would say you definately need the Stage 1 flash to get the best performance out of your scoot.

Hope this helps a little bit

Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 AM
macgoph67
6th Gear

Go with the fuelpak dude. Doesnt require a computer or extra tinkering. Does the same thing. The SERT is the exact same as the fuelpak unless you buy the full on computer accesory crap. Just dial in the numbers and roll on. Why make a fuelpak if its essentiall worthless? It piggybacks on the ECU to get the proper mixture. By the way, the pipes are sounding great and bike is running just great after drilling my baffles.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: macgoph67

Go with the fuelpak dude. Doesnt require a computer or extra tinkering. Does the same thing. The SERT is the exact same as the fuelpak unless you buy the full on computer accesory crap. Just dial in the numbers and roll on. Why make a fuelpak if its essentiall worthless? It piggybacks on the ECU to get the proper mixture. By the way, the pipes are sounding great and bike is running just great after drilling my baffles.
Sorry Mark, I think you're wrong; the Fuel Pack is not the same as the SERT. Like I said, I'm no expert, but the SERT will let you actually adjust (re-program) your ECU, not just the fuel mix. On an EFI bike, to get the best performance and gas mileage you have to adjust much more than just the fuel mix. As I understand it, the EFI computes the exact amount of fuel required for a specific engine RPM and load on the engine. Fuel Pack type controllers just fool the ECU into seeing something different than what is really going on. Nothing wrong with them, they work just fine if all you're doing is swapping out the A/C and pipes. But if you're contemplating other mods (cams, jugs etc) the Fuel Pack won't cut it.

Like all things it's horses for courses. If it does what you want get the Fuel Pack; if you are going further, get the SERT (or even a replacement or additional ECU).

Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 AM
supermario
Advanced

I have a sporters 1200 low and I am waiting for vance and hines to came out the new pipes for 2007 harley, but for now I don't have a choice to wait and wait , anyway thanksgiving its coming then christmas the new years and I won't have the money.

But I am saving hopefully for spring 2007 for now let's wait

Old 10-03-2006, 01:18 AM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks mark..........

i have things to concider..........

Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
samefly
Intermediate

tried searching for an answer and this thread came up...

I'm considering the V&H Shortshots Staggered w/ Quiet Baffles + V&H Fuelpak & Screamin Eagle Stage 1 AC on the Sportster Forty-Eight. A Couple questions:

1. How will this effect gas mileage?
2. Other then one being legal in CA what's the difference between the regular Fuelpak and the Fuelpak G/EX? What limitations does the California approved one have?
3. I'm doing this mainly for the style of the pipes and sound but is there really a performance difference at all from this setup vs stock? (not expecting miracles just curious)

Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Don't bother with the fuelpack it's nothing but problematic. Get the exhaust and but some X14ied's from nightrider.com $99 and zero problems. They plug inline with the O2 sensors and provide a richer AFR thus a cooler and smoother running 48 like mine.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 AM
samefly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aaron48
Don't bother with the fuelpack it's nothing but problematic. Get the exhaust and but some X14ied's from nightrider.com $99 and zero problems. They plug inline with the O2 sensors and provide a richer AFR thus a cooler and smoother running 48 like mine.

man thanks for the heads up on that one! did some more research on them and since I'm not trying to drag race they definitely sounds like the winner.

A word on how the V&H pipes w/ Stage 1 AC and a "richer AFR" will effect performance and gas mileage?

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not too sure about the HD remap. It is a preset one time MAP download that may or may not work for your exhaust/AC setup. If it doesn't, then you are still stuck needing additional tuning. I have to agree with trying the X14's, or go another route with a tuner that can be dialed in on a dyno.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Originally Posted by samefly
man thanks for the heads up on that one! did some more research on them and since I'm not trying to drag race they definitely sounds like the winner.

A word on how the V&H pipes w/ Stage 1 AC and a "richer AFR" will effect performance and gas mileage?
Performance should be a tad better not a huge improvement...your mileage should stay the same mine did.

I am looking into getting the new Cobra Power Pro Auto Tuner.
I need to save my pennies and get one depending on reviews from other riders.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Pipes & The Fuel Pak System