Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did oil change, now Sportster won't start or turnover

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Voltage on battery reads 13.18 volts......guess that eliminates the battery.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

So is it safe to assume it's the starter? Is the solenoid a part of the starter or is it separate?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
Voltage on battery reads 13.18 volts......guess that eliminates the battery.
You may need a second set of hands, but see how low the voltage drops when you hit the Start switch. That's a poor mans Load test.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
You may need a second set of hands, but see how low the voltage drops when you hit the Start switch. That's a poor mans Load test.
I just tried, nothing happens........voltage stays the same????

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks to me like you got some troubleshooting to do. First, I would check for power at the starter and the solenoid, the smaller wire should have power when you hit the starter button. If it does, then you may have a bad solenoid. If it doesn't have power, then you need to work your way back through the circuit until you find power. A wiring diagram will help you a lot. Things to check are the fuses and relays for corrosion. Clean all terminals and put some di-electric grease on all connections.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

Not to be a smart a-- but could you have bumped the run switch to off?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
Looks to me like you got some troubleshooting to do. First, I would check for power at the starter and the solenoid, the smaller wire should have power when you hit the starter button. If it does, then you may have a bad solenoid. If it doesn't have power, then you need to work your way back through the circuit until you find power. A wiring diagram will help you a lot. Things to check are the fuses and relays for corrosion. Clean all terminals and put some di-electric grease on all connections.
Anyone having a wire diagram. I tried to pull the starter/solenoid last night and got a few pieces removed to find out motorcycles aren't as easy as cars to work on. I would have had to take nearly the entire right hand side of the motorcycle off just to get to the starter/solenoid.

If anyone has a picture that can point out the power/ground cables on the starter so that I can troubleshoot I'm be grateful.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by jkinner
Not to be a smart a-- but could you have bumped the run switch to off?
Haha......nope, it's in the Run Switch setting. Thanks for the laugh though.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 AM
polizei
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
Did you use Amsoil? That does it every time.

Should have used Red Line. Never had that problem with Red Line.
You're kidding right? I've used Amsoil exclusively for years in my car and just put it in the bike. That statement is just blatantly dumb.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so when you said the first time it wouldn't stay running, was it not idling high enough? If you were wiping the bottom of the chassis, I'd look at the wires under there and see if you disconnected anything, only thing I can think is maybe you unplugged or loosened one of the ignition wires. After you hooked up to the battery charger, and it wouldn't turn over, you may have loosened one of your cables, if those aren't making decent contact, your starter won't get enough juice to engage the solenoid. Usually in that case though, the whole bike will die as soon as you hit the switch. I would get some sandpaper, and unhook your battery and clean the terminals that connect to it, also I would do the same to the positive wire on your starter solenoid, it's the wire on the side of the starter, not the top. You should at least hear a clicking noise if your solenoid is engaging, if not, the problem is before it. Look at the connectors on the circuit breakers as well, they are on the rear fender, look for loose connectors and dirty poles.

How did you change the oil? did you use the hose under the battery box and drain it out? That should be the only hose you should pull for an oil change.

Quick Reply: Just did oil change, now Sportster won't start or turnover