Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron owners and all new sportsters! Please read this!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I would much rather buy an american made bike. This is why I am so bothered by this. To keep to my principles, I have to settle for a machine that is mechanically inferior, an I don't like that. (or I can buy a vrod, and ride bent over like a clam).
This is exactly the reason why Harley can continue to build machines that leak, and vibrate and use technology that the rest of the motorcycle world has had in place years earlier.

If people would say, "I've had enough. Give us quality we can be proud of, instead of just a name, or we will stop buying." maybe the MoCo would step up.

And as a side note - why aren't all official Harley apparel made in the U.S.? I have several official Harley t-shirts that were made in Mexico.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Pixiechitos; 03-03-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

To keep to my principles, I have to settle for a machine that is mechanically inferior
Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
This is exactly the reason why Harley can continue to build machines that leak, and vibrate and use technology that the rest of the motorcycle world has had in place years earlier
Unfortunately there are a lot a couples with tons of money who keep this trend alive... they spend 40k on a HD bike + tons more on clothes just to occasionally ride to a bar and brag about how they paid $300 on detailing because they wanted the new $1000 front rim to look good.. similar to the guys who buy a 70k chopper as a fashion statement.. I recently ran into two couples at a service station riding brutally expensive HDs.. one lady probably had more than $1000 in HD clothes.. my point is... people like that are the ones who buy HD motorcycles as a status symbol... they don't really know / care if the bike can handle a 1000 miles roundtrip ride.

BTW.. I carry a HD flask with plenty of American Whiskey.. buy American!!!... :-)

Last edited by joebotics; 03-22-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joebotics
Unfortunately there are a lot a couples with tons of money who keep this trend alive... they spend 40k on a HD bike + tons more on clothes just to occasionally ride to a bar and brag about how they paid $300 on detailing because they wanted the new $1000 front rim to look good.. similar to the guys who buy a 70k chopper as a fashion statement.. I recently ran into two couples at a service station riding brutally expensive HDs.. one lady probably had more than $1000 in HD clothes.. my point is... people like that are the ones who buy HD motorcycles as a status symbol... they don't really know / care if the bike can handle a 1000 miles roundtrip ride.
This is what I see as the difference between "motorcyclists" and "Harley riders". Notice the quotation marks, not all people who ride Harleys are about the image and the name. Often times, though, those are the ones that have more than just a Harley in their motorcycle stable.

"Motorcyclists" ride bikes cuz they love them, all of them. They buy the bike that will do what they want it to do, not just the name. If need be, and money allows, they will have several bikes to fit different moods and riding styles. And they want to get their moneys worth.

"Harley riders" ride for style and image, or they will only ride Harleys cuz "They are the only real bike" out there. They will often make excuses why even though their bike leaks, or vibrates, or plain falls apart it is still the best bike in the world, it has "character." All others are junk cuz "they use plastic", or whatever. They are willing to pay premium prices for less than premium quality. It is this group that allows Harley to build what they do, and charge what they do.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002- xlh1200 & not a drop from the shifter seal yet... though, I must add, I run rude-n-crude good ole ground oil. No synthetics, nothing special.
I learned a hard lesson about synthetics with my 1968 c-10, tossed synthetic after someone "wiser than I" told me to, now it leaks like a bottomless bucket.
and as far as BMW... I will bite my tonge...
Best of luck on getting it fixed. And like another has mentioned, I have character. And my fluids are not leaking out on their own.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
This is exactly the reason why Harley can continue to build machines that leak, and vibrate and use technology that the rest of the motorcycle world has had in place years earlier.
Not true! Harley was first to fit discs both ends, had electronic regulators a decade before BMW and was the first to introduce a decent engine rubber-mount system, superior to Norton's Commando. Harleys 'shake' because we like large displacement V-twins - it goes with the breed. They don't vibrate! Repeat after me, they....

And as a side note - why aren't all official Harley apparel made in the U.S.? I have several official Harley t-shirts that were made in Mexico.
Good point! My wife and I visited Milwaukee from the UK with our bike in 2003 for the Centenary. She wanted what you chaps call a vest (a waistcoat) and searched more dealers than we have ever seen before. Eventually and with a shout of success she triumphantly held aloft a genuine Harley one 'Made in USA'. And it fitted, as it still does! The last one left in the whole wide world....

At least those T-shirts were made in the Americas!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If people would say, "I've had enough. Give us quality we can be proud of, instead of just a name, or we will stop buying." maybe the MoCo would step up.
I've said it on this forum and unless something changes (which chances are it will by 2013 when I am going to buy another bike), I'll buy a victory.

but a LOT can change. They can fix the heat issues and cam chain tensioner issues with the big twins, they can put the revolution engine into something more comfy, etc. etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 PM
RAL
Cruiser

I would much rather buy an american made bike. This is why I am so bothered by this. To keep to my principles, I have to settle for a machine that is mechanically inferior, an I don't like that. (or I can buy a vrod, and ride bent over like a clam).

Then victory came along, but like I said, my 09 iron works fine now and I don't plan on replacing it (it is paid off too) until 2013.

Lots on both counts. I see old hondas all the time.

More telling is how many 2 year old harleys do you see for sale with less than 2K miles on them?
How many hondas or bmws do you see with over 100K miles?

I'm encouraged, however, to read here that several of our own forum members have passed 100K on their harleys...
Never said honda was a bad bike, they are quality stuff. As to the old bikes I have seen 10 to 1 older Harleys compared to older Nippon products. Honda sold a heck of a lot more CB750s (cool bikes) than Harley did Sportsters. You have missed my point.
I see just as many low mile Hondas for sale as Harleys, lots of folks buy a bike and find its not for them. In fact I passed on a low mile Honda Sabre with 3200 miles for $3200 and got my Nightster for double that. From a totaly practical standpoint I really screwed up...I am still happy.
Its not some sell out that allows MoCo to screw the people I like the sportster for what it is not for what it could be if only they would.....Harleys are the best 1950s motorcycle on the market today. That is what they are...fuel injected, disc braked, electronic ignition ignited vibrating chunks of rolling steel and rubber with the heart of a 50s ride. If they start trying to be Hondas they will lose as Honda makes the best Honda.
RAL

Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Harleys 'shake' because we like large displacement V-twins - it goes with the breed. They don't vibrate! Repeat after me, they....
Not true. The Japanese make some much larger displacement V-twins that don't shake. The VTX1800s where some very smooth bikes.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
eleft
Tourer

UH?
It sure looks like the other brands of bikes "emulate" the old USA style motorcycle.

I'm happy with my original, no leaks or any other problems.

Al

Quick Reply: Iron owners and all new sportsters! Please read this!