Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making e Wires Disappear!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Madefarker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making e Wires Disappear!!

Hey people, I wana make e wires under my gas tank disappear after lifting it up! I've seen pics of bikes with wirings nicely tuck into somewhere having their ignition relocated to e left side as well! How do I do that?! Do I need another bracket to hold all of that? Advice pls!!

Nightster 2008

Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 AM
dHUTCH
Cruiser

From what I gather.....

You can either fabricate or buy a new bracket for your coil and ignition switch. There are many How-To's on this website, just do a search for both. From the reading I've done you will have to do a 2" or so tank lift. As the wires are usually tucked below the tank between it and the frame. They won't fit under the tank at stock height.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Madefarker
Hey people, I wana make e wires under my gas tank disappear after lifting it up! I've seen pics of bikes with wirings nicely tuck into somewhere having their ignition relocated to e left side as well! How do I do that?! Do I need another bracket to hold all of that? Advice pls!!

Nightster 2008
Here's a couple of pics of some different options-

You can get full details on all the different options HERE

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Madefarker
Novice

Thanks DK and DHutch!!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Madefarker
Novice

Hey DK, I've check out ur web, so I just have to buy e kit and that's it? Any wiring changing or extending?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Carlsbad
Advanced

I bought the kit on eBay without the ignition relocation. Worked great.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the full eBay kit and it works great.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Aslow
Advanced

If you just do a search on this site for "Tank lift/ignition relocation" you'll find everything you need. That's what I did and didn't have to buy a kit on Ebay. I think the total cost for the materials for the lift and relocation was under 10 bucks - the lift alone on ebay is 35-45 with shipping. I started the project thinking I might not be able to handle bending the metal for the brackets and making it look nice, but before i spent money on ebay, what the heck, i tried it myself. Looks pretty good too. I would say if you have the time, search the site and try it yourself. You're probably going to buy other mods and bolt on parts for your ride, this is one you might be able to do yourself. I love that when people ask about the tank lift/ignition relocation i can say it's something I made.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aslow
If you just do a search on this site for "Tank lift/ignition relocation" you'll find everything you need. That's what I did and didn't have to buy a kit on Ebay. I think the total cost for the materials for the lift and relocation was under 10 bucks - the lift alone on ebay is 35-45 with shipping. I started the project thinking I might not be able to handle bending the metal for the brackets and making it look nice, but before i spent money on ebay, what the heck, i tried it myself. Looks pretty good too. I would say if you have the time, search the site and try it yourself. You're probably going to buy other mods and bolt on parts for your ride, this is one you might be able to do yourself. I love that when people ask about the tank lift/ignition relocation i can say it's something I made.
Post a pic or two so we have a visual. I wanna try making it myself before I buy it.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Aslow
Advanced

Instead of taking the time to take pics and upload them I'll just give you the link where I got the idea. It also gives credit to the guy who posted it originally. Thanks! https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rackets-2.html It's post #17 from Iron_883. I made exactly what he made and it was pretty easy. Just needed a grinder and a drill and some black rustoleum - i used the light gloss so it actually looks flat black. Read through the whole thread, it was very helpful, especially joebotics' post about the pipe bracket pieces for the tank lift. Again painted rustoleum black light gloss looks like factory, especially if you paint the nuts and bolts too.

It took me a while to find this post since I did this mod last fall. In going through all the other tank lift/coil relocation threads I saw different ideas. Check them out too, maybe you'd like their ideas better. The reason I like this one is because when all is said and done, you can't really see the bracket like in the other designs. In some of them the bracket stuck out like a sore thumb. I like the hidden look this one gives. It doesn't showcase the bracket, all you really see is the coil and ignition.

Quick Reply: Making e Wires Disappear!!