Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Sportster Stinks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
kaotik78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sportster Stinks!!!!

Hi all,
I just got back from a condo meeting, small 10 units total. My neighbor, rather than talking to me about it, and I just spoke with him a few weeks ago, he mentioned nothing of it then, decided to say he had a bone to pick with me during the meeting. My bike, he said, it stinks. When you start it up the fumes enter my bedroom window and it stinks up my house.

Now when I start my bike up, I roll it out of my garage, down to where my car is, probably 2 car lengths away from his and my windows. The bike's pipes are pointing toward the woods also. I just looked at him and said, there isn't anything I can do about it, and he just told me I had to fix it. So...... does anyone have any suggestions, will my bike forever stink? I do notice it smells up my garage when I pull it in, just thought it was a normal Harley smell.

I have 1800k on it thus far, had it for 2 months now. I dunno, my wife, myself, and another guy at the meeting almost got into it over this cause the guy had a wicked attitude when he talked to me. had to vent.

-Shaun

Old 10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: My Sportster Stinks!!!!

Tell him he stinks and to do something about it.

Seriosuly though I'm not sure what stink you are referring to. Mine smells like regular old exhaust not too far off from a lawn mower. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

i dont get along with my neighbors..so i intentionally aim my pipes towards their house when i start the bike.i usually leave it idling for atleast 5 minutes every morning.i really want them to say something to me about it,because i want to settle our differences once and for all in a hand to hand combat.(we dont like each other and its to long of a story to get into).the guy across the street from me told me his dogs go crazy every time i start my bike,i told him to take his dogs to an obedience class because he cant control them.as for the guy right next door on the other side of me-he is cool he loved my sporty so much he had to have a harley and he went out and bought a new wide glide..he told me i should put louder pipes on mine..so bottom line is tell your neighbor were to go! its not against the law to let off fumes when warming up your bike..

Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: kaotik78

Hi all,
I just got back from a condo meeting, small 10 units total. My neighbor, rather than talking to me about it, and I just spoke with him a few weeks ago, he mentioned nothing of it then, decided to say he had a bone to pick with me during the meeting. My bike, he said, it stinks. When you start it up the fumes enter my bedroom window and it stinks up my house.

Now when I start my bike up, I roll it out of my garage, down to where my car is, probably 2 car lengths away from his and my windows. The bike's pipes are pointing toward the woods also. I just looked at him and said, there isn't anything I can do about it, and he just told me I had to fix it. So...... does anyone have any suggestions, will my bike forever stink? I do notice it smells up my garage when I pull it in, just thought it was a normal Harley smell.

I have 1800k on it thus far, had it for 2 months now. I dunno, my wife, myself, and another guy at the meeting almost got into it over this cause the guy had a wicked attitude when he talked to me. had to vent.

-Shaun

No problem! Get two hoses. Put them on the ends of your mufflers (you know whose window to put the other ends in). Start the bike. Operate choke as manual states. When engine is warm and the bike is still in neutral, go to 3,500 RPM for 90 minutes. Problem solved. ACTUALLY, DO NOT TRY THIS STUNT AT HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER!

What a [sm=smiley35.gif] **** this guy sounds like. If it was noise at 5:00 AM when you go to work or something I could understand it, but he still should have talked to YOU. If it were me I'd keep doing what you're doing and ignore the guy. If he spouts off anymore tell him in front of the "Board" that his wife (girlfriend, car, pet, his body - pick one) stinks and to get it fixed! Some people just have TOO much time on their hands, besides, he's probably just jealous 'cause he can't have a Harley (reason: mother, wife, girlfriend, lack of testosterone - pick one)!

Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 PM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I start my Sportster in the garage all the time. Just the usual exhaust smell, nothing more. If you had a non-catalyst car, your neigbhor would have the same complaint. Compared to my non-catalyst vintage car, the Sportster is very clean!

It might be the sound of the bike triggers his other senses to work overtime. I know my wife used to complain when the neighbors started their bike, even though it was no louder than my car. Go figure. I hope this works out well for you.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you should bring up at the next meeting that everyone's car stinks like your bike. It doesn't really matter whether or not they do, just do it too **** them off. they will then in turn how you feel, and leave you alone. Maybe invite over a few other stinky Harley's too, and start em up real early in the am, maybe 6 am. Have a late nite party that is only open to stinky harley's too. And let the neighbors know they arent invited cause tey don't have stinky harley's. I was actually told by one of my neighbors that she could smell my stinky exhasut too. She is an old lady, I jsut looked at her like what? Anyway, maybe you could take up smoking too, and smoke right outside of his window. Just a few suggestions.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Tell him he goes before the bike..

Old 10-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned

Tell him when he wakes up,
close the window,
get back in bed
and stick his head up his a$$.

He will like the smell of your bike better.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned

Honestly, There is a huge difference between my bike on reformulated gas and non reformulated gas. The reformulated smells much worse... because its not real gas.. it has corn in it.

Ask the guy what he does when he is in stop and go traffic? Ask everyone to shut off their cars?

Old 10-22-2006, 09:52 PM
kaotik78
Cruiser

Guys, thanks for the comments, it brought a smile to my face! I thought it wasn't my bike at all. I used to go to work at 3am, before I had a bike, just imagine if I was still workin that shift..... Now to get some new mufflers for the bike and make some noise! Damn crotchety bmw drivin ol' man is what he is.

Quick Reply: My Sportster Stinks!!!!