Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 XLH forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 PM
alm70
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200 XLH forward controls

Hello,

I'm new Harley's. I come from 20 yrs riding experience, but all with Honda. I recently inherited a 2003 Anniversary 1200 XLH sportster (6K on it for miles) I wanted to do a few mods. I did search the forum and found some info, but not everything I needed.

First off whenever looking up parts, I sometimes don't see the XLH model. Even at this site, the sportster section doesn't list the XLH? Is it the same as the XL?

Also, I want to add forward controls. I'm 6ft and kind of uncomfortable on the bike right now. I'm read going with the original Harley part is the best way. I found these

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

but again it doesn't specifically say XLH model? It also says if exhaust is 2 into 1 the parts won't fit. I believe I have the stock exhaust that seems to go 1 into 2? If I have the stock exhaust will I be ok?

Thanks for your time. I hope the people here are as nice as the Honda forums I have used for many years.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

XLH is just the old way of naming the bikes. Everything was XLH instead of XL. No difference but year really.

Also, if you're in the market for forward controls, check out JP Cycles. I picked your bike as a 2003 XLH1200, you can change it if that was wrong. You can probably find something that you like and is cheaper, or at least check out different makes. http://www.jpcycles.com/2003-harley-...rward-controls

The 2-1 exhaust will look like this: Both pipes will go into one collector, hence 2-1.

Your stock exhaust looks like this:

If you use the H-D forwards and you have the stock exhaust, then yes it will fit. When they say 91-03 XL it is their way of saying sportster. The 883R is the only stock bike with the 2-1 exhaust from those years.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 06-22-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added stuff.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 PM
rjm729
Cruiser

The stock forward controls won't work with a 2 in 1 exhaust. Kuriyakin forwards will work. The brake linkage gets in the way on the Harley cobtrols. I don't know about other brands.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 AM
alm70
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick replies. Since I do have the stock exhaust (the 2 into 1 does look cool though) you confirmed what I thought would be true that the forward controls will fit. Thanks for the JP link...I will check those out.

I just want to adjust my position on the bike. I’m a bit cramped. I was also thinking drag bars too. For me anyway...my knees are too high and my arms too close to me. (of course I come from the sportbike world..so it is really different) I know it’s all personal preference, but I’m trying to decide if drag bars and forward controls would be too much. Bars would be a cheaper start, but I’m not sure just that will be enough...

Glad I found this site. Just reading through the threads and lurking around...it seems like a wealth of knowledge. I think I will like my new Harley friends.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to check E-Bay also. I have seen several sets of forward controls for your bike there, matter of fact, I saw a set last week that was the exact same as what comes on them, except in chrome, go for $200, which is all I paid for mine.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM
aczaplicki
Novice

I recently purchased the o-ring style (cheap) forward controls for the same bike that you have from JP cycles. Everything fit smoothly and it saved me a lot of money. The installation was a little rough due to poorly written directions, but if you take your time you will do fine. Took me about 2 hours to do them. Some wrenching experience is needed, but nothing to major. Everything fit like a glove, highly recommended. If i make it home at a decent hour I will update post with a picture.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
alm70
4th Gear

Thanks aczaplicki. I would love to see a picture of the forward controls on your bike..if you have time of course. All this info is greatly appreciated.

I like to think I'm rather handy with a wrench, so I think this is do-able. For me working on the bikes is part of the fun.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 AM
aczaplicki
Novice

Hello, sorry I totally forgot about this thread. If you are still interested in the pics I will upload them tonight. Sorry!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
alm70
4th Gear

sure aczaplicki, I would love to see those pics. I was hoping you would remember! When you get a chance that would be great.

Also, I saw you thread on the handlebars. I changing out my stock bars too. I'll let you know my findings...

Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM
aczaplicki
Novice
Default Pictures of JP Cycles Forward Controls

Here are the Pictures.

Quick Reply: 1200 XLH forward controls