Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.5 gallon tank on a Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM
30Bones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I don't like the peanut tank, much prefer the custom style on my SuperLow, which at least gives the bike a usable range! As for buying a second tank, that is best done by taking your time. I bought a 6 gallon tank off ebay for my old Glide for just 66 bucks (before shipping) with one small dent. The paint is so good I hardly dare touch it!
I am watching one now, but has two dingers, root beer brown and already at $75/shipped and 4 days left on the auction.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a form over function type of guy and golly, a huge tank on a Sporty is just about the opposite of what I would do. I think the smooth bottom "King" tanks are too damn big. I'll strap a gallon of fuel on the back before I'd go fuggin' up the looks of me motorsickle. That's what I love about my Shovel. It has a 2.3 gallon tank on it and gets 55+ mpg on the highway. Never ran outta gas before a station yet, and I have no reserve.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
30Bones
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Rowdy
I'm a form over function type of guy and golly, a huge tank on a Sporty is just about the opposite of what I would do. I think the smooth bottom "King" tanks are too damn big. I'll strap a gallon of fuel on the back before I'd go fuggin' up the looks of me motorsickle. That's what I love about my Shovel. It has a 2.3 gallon tank on it and gets 55+ mpg on the highway. Never ran outta gas before a station yet, and I have no reserve.
Strapping an extra gallon on just seems ghetto to me. I will live with what I have and just stop more, but would rather not.

Like I said my current tank is scratched all to heck, I want to paint it up nice/semi custom. Unsure what Harley paints these bikes with, but it sure doesn't hold up or stick too well (rear fender paint has already chipped off) I want my bike to look nice, but still be able to rack on 10K a year, load it down some and ride the wheels off it. Instead I will have a 20 footer by the time it has 15K miles on it.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 30Bones
Strapping an extra gallon on just seems ghetto to me. I will live with what I have and just stop more, but would rather not.

Like I said my current tank is scratched all to heck, I want to paint it up nice/semi custom. Unsure what Harley paints these bikes with, but it sure doesn't hold up or stick too well (rear fender paint has already chipped off) I want my bike to look nice, but still be able to rack on 10K a year, load it down some and ride the wheels off it. Instead I will have a 20 footer by the time it has 15K miles on it.
I've strapped the gallon of gas on one time for a long road trip and never needed it. As far as looking ghetto, you could hardly notice it under my back pack and bed roll strapped to my sissy bar.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by 30Bones
I am watching one now, but has two dingers, root beer brown and already at $75/shipped and 4 days left on the auction.
I found difficulty getting rid of my dent. These tanks are built like battle tanks! I've had a couple of auto panel guys look at it and give up! I've almost got rid of mine, but not quite. So it is worth being choosey over what you buy.

There are new undamaged ones on Ebay for $220 and $224 shipped and I found the one you mention. I haven't looked at Sportster tanks before. There are plenty of them, but disappointingly few EFI ones.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
30Bones
Cruiser

I found difficulty getting rid of my dent. These tanks are built like battle tanks! I've had a couple of auto panel guys look at it and give up! I've almost got rid of mine, but not quite. So it is worth being choosey over what you buy.

There are new undamaged ones on Ebay for $220 and $224 shipped and I found the one you mention. I haven't looked at Sportster tanks before. There are plenty of them, but disappointingly few EFI ones.
The dents mean little to me, this is literally a trip/battle tank no more no less. I could care less about condition as it will get abused with tank bags and gas spills.

If I got that brown tank I'd scuff it and shoot it black and clear it and leave it at that. THEN decide on something funky for the 3.3 tank that will reside on it most of the time.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

A good body man should have a spot welding gun. Weld a stud on, heat and pull. It'll come out.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

A good body man should have a spot welding gun. Weld a stud on, heat and pull. It'll come out.
That's a bit brutal! Also fitting a 6 gallon tank on an Evo is not a bolt-on job, so I want to prove everything works before making everything look perfect. If I achieve that then sorting the dent will be in order, along with a repaint.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

That's a bit brutal! Also fitting a 6 gallon tank on an Evo is not a bolt-on job, so I want to prove everything works before making everything look perfect. If I achieve that then sorting the dent will be in order, along with a repaint.

Maybe something is lost in translation. Are you saying what I said was good or bad?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Maybe something is lost in translation. Are you saying what I said was good or bad?
Your suggestion was fine! The tank is pristine, probably off a showroom bike by the look of the paintwork, so welding a stud in the dent to pull it out would spoil the look of it! That's what I meant by being 'brutal'! I have used the plumbers CO2 freezing technique which has almost removed it, but can't get it to give up that last bit. If the tank was older and looked well used I might not be so reluctant to attack it, but that may yet be the only way ahead!

Quick Reply: 4.5 gallon tank on a Nightster