Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

small windshield on 48/sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
gfburke
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small windshield on 48/sportster?

I don't really like the looks of a windshield. What are the benefits to having one? Better gas, keep wind and bugs off of you etc?

Does anyone have pics of a really small one on a sportster maybe a 48?
If they are really small, same benefits?
(something small, like this http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/121.jpg )

Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Dragonmaw
Advanced

I own the HD detachable (57682-10). I don't have any pics and am at work, but I will say that it doesn't look awful, as far as windshields go.

I use it on long trips and I have mixed feelings about it overall. It keeps the wind off my chest, but the fixed angle causes a shitload of buffetting to my full-face helmet.

Also, and this could just be the windy as hell Oklahoma roads, when I have it on my 48 is all over the place in strong winds. It really moves around in a crosswind. I prefer riding without it overall, and absolutely prefer the way the bike looks without it.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
gfburke
Tourer

cool man thanks. yeah.. my orange 48 looks great stock. only mods i'm really doing are hidden so far. I rode on the freeway for the first time yesterday.. did about 70. heh, that's a lot of wind man!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the HD quick detach on my 09 1200C when I do long trips or when its cooler out. Doesn't look half bad on my bike. Don't see a difference when it comes to gas mileage. Keeps your upper body clean from bugs and from you chest and head from getting knocked around by wind.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about this one?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
gfburke
Tourer

ooo hot damn. yeah like that.
what benefits are there with that one?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does reduce the wind blast to your main torso...more so if you have it a a bit less angle than I'm running it here. Its a flyshield from National Cycle...the stock setup had a bit too much chrome pieces for my taste so I powder coated them black (along with a Dyna trim ring around the headlight.

I think it makes the bike ooze sex...but it is just my opinion

Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're interested in getting a windshield to keep the rain or wind off you, don't. Get a car.

A properly set up windshield will reduce rider fatigue, first and foremost. It'll also keep some bugs off you, but not all.

But any windshield you get will take a bit of patience and trial-and-error to get it set up right for you. Shouldn't affect mpg one way or another. Motorcycles are not very aerodynamic already (less so than most cars). A windshield on a Harley won't make it any worse, or better.

For most Harleys, I find the smaller the windshield, the better. It doesn't take much to get the wind off your chest without buffetting wind hitting your head. You could buy the regular size HD QD one and cut it down, or just get a smaller one from National Cycle or Memphis Shades.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM
JeffKill
Tourer

Originally Posted by WildThang
It does reduce the wind blast to your main torso...more so if you have it a a bit less angle than I'm running it here. Its a flyshield from National Cycle...the stock setup had a bit too much chrome pieces for my taste so I powder coated them black (along with a Dyna trim ring around the headlight.

I think it makes the bike ooze sex...but it is just my opinion
I agree. That pic of your bike convinced me to buy a 48! I need to pick up one of those flyshields soon. Did you take it apart to paint the chrome bits black, or just mask it off?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
gfburke
Tourer

awesome. ya i dont want chrome.
also you have that little .... aerodynamic.. ***** cup.. part down there. what is that? that looks cool.
and i like your exhaust.. damn nice bike man!!

Quick Reply: small windshield on 48/sportster?