Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding another to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 PM
jbyun
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding another to the stable

I've had my Sporty for about 2 years now and it's been a great 2 years...but being human and always wanting more I'm slowly planning on getting another bike since variety is the spice of life.

I started off at looking at other Harley models but nothing really stands out like the Nightster did to me when I first saw it...in fact, personally, the newer models have been kind of disappointing.

So, I decided to go the complete opposite direction and started looking at crotch rockets. Not knowing anything about the correct protocol for being a squid poser, I started off looking at the supersport 600cc models like the R6, ZX-6R, CBR 600RR, etc. However, I soon found that although these are awesome machines, they're really built for the track and not really practical for the type of riding I like to do so now I'm looking at the detuned versions and really like the Ninja 650R.

Right now, I'm in the mindset that I would never sell the Sporty. However, I'm interested in some of you guys out there that have a Sportster but also have a crotch rocket and want to know what it's like having the two different types of bikes? Do you end up just riding one while the other collects dust? I guess it would vary from person to person but any experiences would help.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

I added a 2008 kawasaki versys a couple years ago .I ride them pretty much the same amount of time . I like them both the same . Was also thinking about another bike short list buell ulysses, kawasaki z1000 ,triumph tiger ,xr1200. It will depend on the best value I can find on a used bike .

Old 09-02-2011, 02:54 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by turn8a
I added a 2008 kawasaki versys a couple years ago .I ride them pretty much the same amount of time . I like them both the same . Was also thinking about another bike short list buell ulysses, kawasaki z1000 ,triumph tiger ,xr1200. It will depend on the best value I can find on a used bike .
Cool...I'm definitely going to look for a good deal on used. I'm sure no matter what brand it is, there's always someone that likes the idea of motorcycling and only puts on a few miles.

Unless of course, I can get a sweet clearance deal on a new one from the dealer or something but something used with low miles and most of the add-ons I want would be ideal.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jbyun
Cool...I'm definitely going to look for a good deal on used. I'm sure no matter what brand it is, there's always someone that likes the idea of motorcycling and only puts on a few miles.

Unless of course, I can get a sweet clearance deal on a new one from the dealer or something but something used with low miles and most of the add-ons I want would be ideal.
If your looking for a z1000
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcd/2545100419.html

still more than my cheap *** wanted to pay... lol

Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by turn8a
If your looking for a z1000
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcd/2545100419.html

still more than my cheap *** wanted to pay... lol
Damn you...you're like the devil on my shoulders.

Secretly, I still want my N to be the "main" bike. Hopefully that won't change.

The price is nice but if I go buy that, it may turn from sleeping on the couch for a month to looking for a good divorce lawyer

Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm a track rider. you're right, sport bikes have no place on the road, period. they cant be ridden how they were designed to be ridden so you end up either getting a lot of tickets or 6 ft. under. the safest way to go fast man, is on the track! my gixxer is tracked out so no light harness, no blinkers, rear views etc. to be honest, after a track day it takes me at least a week to get on my sporty. i just got into it last year, did four track days and got bumped to intermediate. have done three track days this year and i'm draggin knees everywhere and knocked 10sec. off of my lap times at a track i frequent. if i were you, this is the route i'd go. i'm kicking myself in the *** for not doing it sooner. the only thing in the world that i think might compare to dragging a knee around a corner at over 100mph is sky diving in one of those flight suits with the wings on it. good luck in whatever you do and remember, there is absolutley no need for a 1000, no matter who tells you different. a good rider on a 600 can get around a track just as fast if not faster than the guy on the liter bike.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
i'm a track rider. you're right, sport bikes have no place on the road, period. they cant be ridden how they were designed to be ridden so you end up either getting a lot of tickets or 6 ft. under. the safest way to go fast man, is on the track! my gixxer is tracked out so no light harness, no blinkers, rear views etc. to be honest, after a track day it takes me at least a week to get on my sporty. i just got into it last year, did four track days and got bumped to intermediate. have done three track days this year and i'm draggin knees everywhere and knocked 10sec. off of my lap times at a track i frequent. if i were you, this is the route i'd go. i'm kicking myself in the *** for not doing it sooner. the only thing in the world that i think might compare to dragging a knee around a corner at over 100mph is sky diving in one of those flight suits with the wings on it. good luck in whatever you do and remember, there is absolutley no need for a 1000, no matter who tells you different. a good rider on a 600 can get around a track just as fast if not faster than the guy on the liter bike.
I agree on most points ...the z1000 for me would be more of a sport tourer . I still have a track bike but I take care of my knee draggin addiction with my minis .
www.semra.org

Last edited by turn8a; 09-02-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
Good info. Thanks for chiming in.

The 600 seems to be plenty for me and much more in my price range. Besides, I already have a 1.2 liter bike

Old 09-03-2011, 12:55 PM
low_wgn
Cruiser

after having the harley my wife wanted something that wasnt so heavy to ride to college that was about 30 miles away. So we started looking. We ended up with a Buell 1125 CR. Great bike and fun. With my job i have to have a commercial drivers license.....so if i get a ticket it stays on my record. She loved the buell but didnt like the riding position so she went back to the harley. Her words were that when you get wise you get the harley. Once you have a harley you dont want anything else. I loved the buell but made me want to go fast and i couldnt do that. I currently have a 2007 Nightster. She is wanting to ride that but it has 14" apes and she is unsure of that. So we had both worlds. The only way i would go back with one is if i had the money to do what i wanted...which would be lower it and stretch it. But i love the nightster and i am fine with that.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:39 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Originally Posted by low_wgn
Once you have a harley you dont want anything else.
Not for everyone it seems

A buddy of mine let me ride his Buell 1125R when I visited him and it was an awesome machine. I only managed to get it up to 7000 RPM but man was that thing pulling and it had so much more to give.

Two things for me was the look...it just looks odd to me and I'm one of those people where the aesthetics matter when it comes to the vehicles. Also, the handlebars were so low that after about 30 mins of riding it, my wrist was gone and I was really happy to hop back on the N.

I think that's why I'm leaning towards the Ninja 650R due to its more upright position and I like how it looks. Also, it's not a super sport bike and although I may never be able to ride it to its full potential, I have a better chance of getting there and it fits my everyday riding needs.

Quick Reply: Adding another to the stable