Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike sounds like a chain saw

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Harley48
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike sounds like a chain saw

Okay, i got my bike (2011 48) from the stealer for it's 1k service and it was all jacked up:
head bearings were loose causing a ton of head shake
rear wheel was out alignment
primary chain was making a loud whirring sound when I let off the throttle

I loosened the front end, lubed the bearings (stealer didn't do it) and retorqued - head shake gone.

I aligned the rear wheel - bike is not tramming or pulling now.

BUT... the whirring sound is still there. I have adjusted the primary chain to spec doing it cold, hot and using the hero method. The noise does go away if I tighten the primary chain to beyond spec (1/8" hot, 1/4" cold at the tightest point), but I know that I cannot leave it that tight. When I bring it back to spec the sounds comes right back. There is NO question that the primary chain is in spec per the manual. It's been checked and rechecked.

The sound occurs when I dump the throttle at higher rpm, such as when shifting up to the next gear. It is a very loud whirring, "chain" like sound - reminds of the sound the chain on a chain saw makes, but fast and it is LOUD and NOT like what the primary sounded like before the service. I would SWEAR the primary was loose (not knocking the case though) but I know it's in spec.

Sound like the compensator nut is loose?

I really, really do not want to take my bike back to the dealer due to the awful job they did last time and I can wrench.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you had an "out-of-body" experience and actually traded it in for a Kawi.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Plenty of dealers in TX right?

Can't you ride it over to another dealer, explain you are unhappy with the first dealer, and tell them you are looking for a dealer who will treat you right (so you can spend money there on future accessories/parts/service)?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Harley48
Novice

You know, I did not believe google when I checked the reviews of my local dealer and they rated it as just under 3 stars and said to stay away from their service department. The other dealer near me only has 2 1/2 stars and they have worse reviews. If it can be done myself, I would rather do it.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dango
Maybe you had an "out-of-body" experience and actually traded it in for a Kawi.
LOL +1 I just saw the title of the thread and was ready to type, "If your bike sounds like a chain saw then it's good you came to the HDForum instead of the 2stroke dirt jumpers"

Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
notorious
Road Captain

...check to see if they put fluid in, wouldn't be the first time it didn't happen.
Heck, pull the cover and see if the compensator is tight. Save your money and do your service yourself, keep receipts and mark the date of your endevor in your manual just in case.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't that one of the years that Harley is replacing the compensators with SE upgrades?

Other than that I can tell you that issues in the transmission often create sounds in the primary.

By adjusting the chain tight, loose, or on the money could be changing the tension on the compensator, and the clutch. If not a bad compensator you could have a clutch hub bearing, or any tranny bearing (mainshaft or otherwise) that the tension changes effect these other issues.

Why not let them do whatever under warranty? It could be expensive to DIY.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Isn't that one of the years that Harley is replacing the compensators with SE upgrades?

Other than that I can tell you that issues in the transmission often create sounds in the primary.

By adjusting the chain tight, loose, or on the money could be changing the tension on the compensator, and the clutch. If not a bad compensator you could have a clutch hub bearing, or any tranny bearing (mainshaft or otherwise) that the tension changes effect these other issues.

Why not let them do whatever under warranty? It could be expensive to DIY.
You do know that this is the Sporty section, right?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Harley48
Novice

Okay, I brought it in today and they said that is just how Harleys sound. 4 hours later they said they went into the primary, checked all the bolts and the primary tension etc. and it was all fine. They reassured me that Harleys make a lot of noise and that sportys make more than the average Harley. They then proceeded to tell me I owed them $110 for them to check out the sound when all was okay. I agreed to pay for the primary gasket and oil at $24. So... I guess this is how Harleys sound - loud whirring from the primary chain when you engage the clutch at RPM and probably the reason I noticed it right after the service was because they loosened the primary to spec.

Oh well, I think I am going to just ride it like I stole it and make damn sure that if something is going to fail, that it is going to happen in the next two years.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
ahhwataday
Tourer

Can you make a video?

Quick Reply: My bike sounds like a chain saw