Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH! First crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Originally Posted by DENGUY
Glad you're OK. Why I left the engine guard on when I got the bike even though I didn't like the way it looked. Great info on here about using the front brake only in a panic stop, never heard that one before. Does that apply if you ARE trying to lay it down?
You need to practice panic stops on a dresser. It is really easy to lock up the rear wheels, compared to a lighter bike. My first two stops for a yellow light were hairy. I had to practice grabbing hard on front and lightly on rear. Scared me so much I took the Rider's Edge Skilled Riders Course. Everyone with over 3k miles in experience should do it.

If you ride like your invisible, hopefully you won't need to panic stop.
It's a zoo,be careful out there!

OP, was this a suburban, urban or rural setting? Hope you feel better.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is always wonderful to be able to walk away from those with only very minor injuries. Glad you and the bike weren't hurt too bad.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Glad you are OK.

"Slamming on the brakes" and stripping yourself of control by locking up is almost never a good idea. If you haven't had a MSF course, it might be a good idea. If you have, take the advanced course. They work on controlled panic stops and crash avoidance maneuvers.

Get back on the horse and stay safe.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

To the OP. I am glad you are ok with only a few minor injuries.

As everyone else has said, all of us can benefit from a little practice on the "emergency" stops. We all know the best place to practice this is in a controlled environment like a large parking lot. We also need to remember that nothing will take the place of an actual "panic" situation but practicing a "emergency" stop in a controlled environment will help condition you to react differently

AS others have mentioned the front brake is your friend in EVERY stop from speed but practicing will give you a feel of just how much front brake you can get away with before it becomes you enemy. (to much will put you down also).

I am sure that everyone realizes that once you hit the front brake hard the weight of your bike transfers forward making your rear brake almost useless other than to create the pendulum effect and giving you good look at your rear end as it passes you.

On a bike with floor boards I think it is easier to come down hard on the rear brake. After years of driving a car and only having one brake pedal your natural instinct is to hit that pedal hard when in panic situation.

One thing that has helped me greatly in these situations is years of riding motocross. (i realize that not everyone has that experience). It teaches you to constantly look for the angles of escape from idiots as well has how to incorporate downshifting, weighting the front end and proper use of the front brake as you have to do this in almost every corner. (it is also more forgiving when you error. LOL)

I am by no means trying to put myself out there as and "expert" because until you in the specific situation that the OP was in none of us no how we would have reacted or what options he had.

I will tell ya I have always been confident but cautious in my riding skills but i had a Black pit bull run under my front wheel at night and i never saw him other than a blur till i walked back to see what caused me to go down. I was very fortunate that only the bike was damaged.

Anyway get back out there and practice some emergency stopping using that front brake and some judicious use of downshifting and clutch play to minimize the rear end end locking.

Best wishes,

Jim

Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome to the club.
you are now one of the other kind of bikers.
I hit the TOP of a pine tree on my baptism
laid unconscious for hours woke up in the dark with a broken bike and the coyotes moving in on me.
since time slows down so much while it happens try to learn from it.
glad to see you are alive

on a more moving forward note

I got a turn signal and bar clutch lever grips and h bars and a mirror what else you need?
pick her up and go

Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
VirgeB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing is that you are ok and there is not much wrong with the bike. Try going 80 and have a back tire lock up on you. Managed to get the bike down to 30 before it threw me off. Insurance company totaled the bike out. I will never secure anything to the rear with just bungees ever again.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you ar OK. Did the other guy get a ticket?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Para45
Intermediate

Sounds like about the best outcome you could have had considering the circumstances and your reaction! Glad you are OK, and the bike is not wrecked up worse.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Clutch70
Road Master

Glad to hear you made it out OK. Make it a learning experience.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
thefirst48
3rd Gear

It is good to hear you are OK! As a new bike owner it is no fun to hear about these situations...I am glad you shared this with us as the information given by everyone in this post will hopefully prevent someone's future scare. OP hop back on and ride safe!

Quick Reply: OUCH! First crash