Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH! First crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thefirst48
It is good to hear you are OK! As a new bike owner it is no fun to hear about these situations...I am glad you shared this with us as the information given by everyone in this post will hopefully prevent someone's future scare. OP hop back on and ride safe!
This. +1

Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Reminds me my first serious situation with my Harley.
Commuting, 0630, still dark, countryside highway, no shoulder. I switch to low beam, there is an upcoming vehicle. And suddenly, an SUV from right cuts me off. I saw it coming, stopping, and I was sure it lets me pass. And it didn't. I was doing 50 or so, maybe a little more. Following happened so fast I even do not remember if I touched my rear brake or not. I locked up my front hard ... when I regained control on brakes there was literally nothing between his rear fender and my front tire. That dude started driving 20 MPH in front of me. I pulled next to him, he didn't look left. I was slightly aggravated ... I must admit. I hit his mirror hard enough to shatter it. He didn't look left. He just carried on 20 MPH. I think he was at least 80 years old. Makes you think ...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 PM
SGT Z
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the MSF course, but not the advanced one. Maybe I should do that because I thought it was kind of odd how soon I went down. I don't know if it would have helped though. If I had stayed upright I likely would have impacted the car because he had pulled out just as I was about to enter the intersection. Falling surely slowed me down as I only slid about halway through the intersection and my bike slid right under his back end.

This happened at 0655 so it was dark. I saw that he was stopped so I thought nothing of him. A car in the right lane was about 50 feet or so ahead of me had just passed him and then he pulled out. This probably obstructed his view some. Still, he should have seen me. He got the ticket. He stuck around and told the MP it was his fault, so I give him credit for that.

As a longtime non-rider it's almost natural instinct to brake with my foot. I think I'll look into that advanced rider course. Oh, and riding in the cold with no FF helmet? Yeah, my face gets pretty chilly. I keep forgetting to wear something warm over my face because I usually don't ride unless it's at least 60 out.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I started riding a dirtbike when I was 15. I've crashed in every possible way, on all kind of tarmacs, ice and snow included. IMHO, if you can afford a dirtbike and there is a place where you can ride it - it beats all courses.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM
goalie1979
6th Gear

Glad you're in one piece -- good to learn you bounce. Also good that the SUV driver did not try to blame you. Only question is -- have you bought a ff now?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Emergency braking is difficult on cold roads because that means cold tires... Easier to lock up. Glad u r ok.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 AM
blackhawk150
Novice

Glad your ok, the bike can be fixed. Having some idiot pull out in front of me is my worst fear when I ride. Seems like every time I actually make eye contact with the other driver they just go! Anymore I just automatically assume there will be someone in every intersection that wants to kill me.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
Emergency braking is difficult on cold roads because that means cold tires... Easier to lock up. Glad u r ok.
Another great point. Do motorcycle tires have a different chemical make-up than performance car tires for cold weather? Like an all-season tire?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sadly your plight, flight and subsequent landing is repeated weekly throughout the world. Happy you are ok and hope the next time will be less damaging. Remember allways pump the brakes never stand on them.

Mine was not a crash but scared the living stuff out of me, an 4X4 idiot pulled out in front of me, how I missed the vehicle at 95 KPH I'm not sure, flailing back and forth untill the bike decided to calm down, my heart didnt for about 2 hours, my mind still didnt understand how someone could not see me.

Be happy its only scratches and parts easily replaced, your parts are not so easily fixed.

What did the driver do?

Cheers.

Last edited by DavidStiebel; 11-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
DENGUY
Cruiser

MC tires have a very small pavement contact area in any case, so I wouldn't put much hope in their saving me, relying instead on my intense concentration on the situation ahead of me keeping me out of danger. I see lots of folks riding incredibly stupidly and avoiding trouble only by luck.

Quick Reply: OUCH! First crash