Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker gaskets went for the third time... how to deal with the stealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM
br401k
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker gaskets went for the third time... how to deal with the stealer

ok so this is the third time im gonna have to replace my rocker cover gaskets. the stealer is gonna be covering it but im beyond tired with having to deal with this.

my bike was paid with cash upfront at the dealer with the price they were asking, no questions asked.

might sound like a lemon but in RI nope! anyone have any curious ways to butter up the dealer? warranty ends in 4 months too...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Learn to do it yourself. Nothing better than knowing your bike inside and out.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 335 Likes on 290 Posts

It is no a hard job to do...learn to do it yourself is valid advice.

3 failure....at what mileages? I have read every 10K miles would not be abnormal. These gaskets can jokingly be but on the service schedule.

Only preventative comment is to inspect the covers. The straight-ness and condition of the sealing surface and for the proper torque of the cover bolts.

So...... can you ask the dealer to verify the cover condition (maybe you can even see them before installation) during this third repair or even to replace the covers.

I guess you could ask for the old gaskets and look for a cut or other failure too.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Sometimes the rocker cover can be warped (inner or outer cover). Placing a straight edge across it isn't going to show a tweek. Sitting it on a known flat surface, like a milled table top or piece of glass, helps to determine its condition. Ask them to show it to you, without casting accusations of incompetence. That'll be the hard part. Sounding like you know what's up will get you farther than kissing ***, but you could always bring in a couple dozen donuts for the shop. Make sure there's enough for the whole dealership - and coffee, too, with cups and cream and sugar. Don't forget the napkins. Seriously.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Aaron48
Road Master

As scuba said if you know what you are talking about they will listen to you...don't go in with shitty attitude because that's what you will get back. Ask to talk to the service manager tell him you want to see the rocker box cover and bring a nice steel straight edge ruler with you. I have a couple of Starret rulers I use and I always check for warpage on valve covers before I put em back on. Both surfaces need to be straight before putting a gasket between them. It's always easier to blame the gasket or the installer than to check both sealing surfaces for straightness.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:47 PM
garslayer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am being picky: not straight - FLAT. And mine weren't; however, they are now. A lapping table is your friend.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:32 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Someone stated on here recently that this problem may be related to not properly warming up the engine before riding, don't know if it's true but I know I do let mine warm up real good before heading out and my gaskets have never leaked in 5 seasons of hard riding.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:45 PM
br401k
Cruiser

mileage is just about 5k. im gonna ask to see the rocker itself to insure thats its not warped or anythign, thanks for your guys advice

Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by br401k
mileage is just about 5k. im gonna ask to see the rocker itself to insure thats its not warped or anythign, thanks for your guys advice
Three sets of rockers in 5k? Something must be pretty wrong...

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the gaskets. The problem is the rocker boxes being damaged by improper install. I replaced the Buells crap raw aluminum rocker boxes with factory chrome units and roller rocker arms. Followed the service manual to the letter, including using a torque adapter on the fasteners not acessable. Didn't know how to calculate the new torque setting, so went to local HD dealer in Washington state and spoke to the lead mechanic. He told me to ignore the manual and tighten real tight as the fasteners are grade 8. I learned how to calculate the correct torque value with the torque adapter and no leaks for 11 years. I'd get new rocker boxes and find a shop that will install them properly and you will have no leaks.

Quick Reply: rocker gaskets went for the third time... how to deal with the stealer