Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly is the "Stage 1 download" and is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question. Why do people do a stage I download when they can also do a dyno tune? Isn't a dyno tune better than the "tune in a can"?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Originally Posted by aklim
Question. Why do people do a stage I download when they can also do a dyno tune? Isn't a dyno tune better than the "tune in a can"?
I would say yes. The bike I bought had a Stage I download, or so I was told. Also has very short aftermarket pipes. Bike ran ok but sounded like crap with backfires between shifts and very bad decel pop. Bought the super tuner and had the bike dyno tuned and now all that has been corrected. Added 9 hp and the bike runs great. Mind you this is a more expensive way to go but I'm very happy with the results.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by VirgeB
I would say yes. The bike I bought had a Stage I download, or so I was told. Also has very short aftermarket pipes. Bike ran ok but sounded like crap with backfires between shifts and very bad decel pop. Bought the super tuner and had the bike dyno tuned and now all that has been corrected. Added 9 hp and the bike runs great. Mind you this is a more expensive way to go but I'm very happy with the results.
I believe one of my HD dealers in the area has a dyno room. Does HD have the ability to tune or just download a program?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Originally Posted by aklim
I believe one of my HD dealers in the area has a dyno room. Does HD have the ability to tune or just download a program?
I think a lot of them have the ability to tune now. I took mine to an indy and was really happy with the job he did.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor9C1
I fully understand EFI, as ive been an automotive technician for 7 years. I know what the Xied's do for fuel, but from what ive found trying to search the stage 1 download is that it does not change the fuel tables BUT i couldnt find and exact answer to what the stage 1 actually does do. I would think that if it does change the ignition timing then that could benifit even more with the increased fuel from the xied's.
I understand EFI, too. And I have studied internal combustion engine theory in depth. That's why I did not waste money on SE stuff. They have to stay legal, while I do not know what stage 1 download really does it cannot be perfect for this very reason. Actually, someone presumably proficient on this matter claimed on xlforums stage 1 download does nothing but corrects ignition curve and raises the redline. That's right, no fuel map modification.
Waste of money, IMHO.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Alot of people knock the stage one accessories and download and that is fine, I believe everyone's opinion is valid, but people have to remember that many of us bike owners do not want to 1) spend a lot of money on tuners and dyno time, 2) do not want to bother messing around with tuning period.
Many riders just want to hop on their bike and ride. Stage one works great for people that just want to ride. You can go to the dealer get it installed and drive away with everything working fine. You don't "need" to pay for a tuner or dyno time.
Just my opinion.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Well, it's really not about opinions (opinions can be wrong). Personal preferences, I'd say. What is important for you, how you ride. I ride it hard, I know engines and EFI, and I'm kind of perfectionist. The result can be seen in my footnote.
Your preferences being different does not make you wrong.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Of course, if I understand correctly and someone please correct me if I am wrong. Hd's stage one download is designed to work best with SE pipes and AC. If other brands of pipes and breathers are used the download may not work as well and a tuner/dyno may be needed.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A competent tuner with a dyno will be able to maximize your engine's potential with it's given components, absolutely. However, not everyone has dyno access, nor a competent tuner! Many tuners will simply tune for max HP, but not consider the value of trying to hit a nice flat torque curve. Others will tune it for wide open throttle, but not really consider how it'll behave at half throttle/cruising. A lot is up to the tuner himself.

Regardless, the SERT will be needed in order to perform the dyno tune, so you're already in it for the cost of that baby, plus the dyno and tuner's time. I recently paid about a grand for the SERT and a dyno tune on my vrod, but it was well worth it because that bike freaking runs like it's on fire now.

Also, once the dyno tune is done, if you change anything, it'll have to be done all over again, and you're in it for the dyno time and the tuner's time, but not the SERT a second time around, you'll already own that.

The stage 1 download is generally "close enough" for most riders' needs, and enough maps are available that a tune is usually able to be found for your specific combination of pipes/air cleaner/engine/etc.. it truly is a ripoff if they charge you for the download, too for more than about 30 minutes of time, all they do is plug the bike in and fire up the software.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mich
Of course, if I understand correctly and someone please correct me if I am wrong. Hd's stage one download is designed to work best with SE pipes and AC. If other brands of pipes and breathers are used the download may not work as well and a tuner/dyno may be needed.
Not quite correct. HD stage 1 download is supposed to make your engine work with your mods without damaging it while still conforming with emissions regulations. Performance-wise it is a far cry from unleashing the real potential of your engine.

Quick Reply: What exactly is the "Stage 1 download" and is it worth it