Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Tips on Removing Paint from Tank. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/728740-tips-on-removing-paint-from-tank.html)

OldSchoolZ 02-02-2012 04:48 PM

Just spoke with a local media stripping business. He said he could do my tank for $25-$50. I asked if it would need to be sanded prior to clearing and he said absolutely not. He said it will be super smooth after the blasting. That's a no brainer. I have $20 just in sandpaper that will now be going back. Thanks for all the input guys.

pointdogg48 02-02-2012 05:41 PM

sidebar question, but after stripping the tank. has anyone run it just bare steel with success and fighting against rust?

i love the look of the bare steel tank, but everyone thinks im crazy when i describe it to them. their primary argument is always RUST

streetfighter06 02-02-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pointdogg48 (Post 9340788)
sidebar question, but after stripping the tank. has anyone run it just bare steel with success and fighting against rust?

i love the look of the bare steel tank, but everyone thinks im crazy when i describe it to them. their primary argument is always RUST

Yes it will rust. They sell a shiny clear and a matte clear for protectant. Even oils from your finger tips will create rust, FYI. Wear rubber gloves when handling.

NativeTexican 02-02-2012 08:46 PM

You might try brake fluid to strip the paint. I remember dad had a leak on the hand level and it dripped on the tank. Where the fluid dripped the paint came off when he tried to wipe the fluid off.

Jackal 02-03-2012 07:46 AM

It will be stripped and have a nice sheen like finish to it, but it will still have some grainy-ness and would look a LOT better if you hand sanded in a pattern or randomly, then have it cleared or better yet ceramic coated. Not worries about corrosion what so ever then. DO IT.

Sliver1 01-17-2014 12:32 AM

This is random luck. I am buying your pegs and I ran into you again here. I'm thinking about stripping mine down to bare metal and clear coating as well. Did you do this? Can you give advice in what to do and not to do?

HrdNox 06-07-2016 10:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
However you decide to get it off (media blast) use these 3 things to give it that cool grind finish.. Use 80 grit with a nice light pressure and pull in one direction (front to back) for an even look.Then spray the tank with any rattle can clear varnish. Anyone thats not lame has this in their garage. I use it ALL the time. Excellent for lawnmower blades. FYI, they also make scotch bright pads for the arbor. :cool:

AK883xl 06-07-2016 10:51 AM

i use aircraft paint stripper. can get it at home depot. spray it on... let it sit... watch the paint bubble.. scrape off

HrdNox 06-07-2016 10:54 AM

Posted in wrong place but you guys can figure it out.

19Sparrow87 06-07-2016 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by AK883xl (Post 15216516)
i use aircraft paint stripper. can get it at home depot. spray it on... let it sit... watch the paint bubble.. scrape off

You started stripping yours already? I demand pics in your thread! Lmao can't wait to see the end product man. Might just sway me to it for my current tank until I get the new tank.