Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Comments on a dyno run

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got a good deal. Find a competent SEPST tuner.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
First run was with just the pipes and the AC and using a canned tune from HD best suited to the run. Set for 8883 cc engine with SE AC and SE Slipons. I am worried that the AFR didn't seem to change too much from stock configuration.

Second run was after it was
tuned but if you look at it, it gained 5 HP and 1 Ft/lbs of torque. That means SOME change occurred but is it
enough? Not worried about that but the AFR curve is pretty similar to the canned tune.
The dealer download is EPA approved. The a/f ratios will remain same as stock with a little fuel added in the 3/4-full throttle for an increase is roll on power.
I laugh at these guys who pay for the dealer download. You get a higher rev limit and at most a little more power at 3/4 and full throttle.
Get it dyno tuned. By a competent tuner,and don't cheap out. Let them do what they do,even if it means an hour or 2 extra. It's money well spent.
Remote tuning works alright but you have to datalog so tge tuner can see what's going on with the motor. And it could be that you have to make a few runs which becomes irritating. Especially guys like me who aren't computer literate
2 motors,identical in every way with need slight tuning differences because nothing is exactly the same. A remote tuner may get it close bit a dyno tuner can make adjustments in real time.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal
You got a good deal. Find a competent SEPST tuner.
Might have to be a dealership or someone 2 hrs away. That would suck to have to drive it that far. Might decide to tow the thing. Not sure.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
The dealer download is EPA approved. The a/f ratios will remain same as stock with a little fuel added in the 3/4-full throttle for an increase is roll on power.
I laugh at these guys who pay for the dealer download. You get a higher rev limit and at most a little more power at 3/4 and full throttle.

Get it dyno tuned. By a competent tuner,and don't cheap out. Let them do what they do,even if it means an hour or 2 extra. It's money well spent.

Remote tuning works alright but you have to datalog so tge tuner can see what's going on with the motor. And it could be that you have to make a few runs which becomes irritating. Especially guys like me who aren't computer literate

2 motors,identical in every way with need slight tuning differences because nothing is exactly the same. A remote tuner may get it close bit a dyno tuner can make adjustments in real time.
The tune in the SEPST is EPA approved. However, is the final map also EPA compliant? IOW, must the dealer also make it EPA compliant or can they do as they wish?

If it came down to it, I would drive the 2 hrs and I dont' believe in skimping out on that. Just don't like to drive it under these conditions so it would have to be trailered. As such, if there was someone closer that could do a good job, I'd be all over them. Being new in this arena, I don't know too many competent people in the area with a good dyno.

I'm good with datalogging and flashing it since I am pretty comfortable with the computer.

I wholeheartedly agree. I just prefer to get it as close as possible and one day, when time permits, take it to get it tuned on a dyno by someone who knows what they are doing in their sleep. I really hate to ride it for more than a half hour without knowing it is pretty damned close. Fuelmoto is 2 hrs away. Should I ride the bike that far without it being in very close synch? I think not. The AFR curve has those spots I think are lean and I don't feel comfortable riding it that far without knowing it is spot on.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
PAsportster
Tourer

what color is your tuner ? black or orange ? black is EPA , orange is the race tuner..

Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are 2 hours from FM? DUDE! As it sits, it is better off than stock, so what's the issue? You don't have to make the run WFO or anything. Just cruise there and enjoy the ride, then haul *** back on a "new machine".

Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by PAsportster
what color is your tuner ? black or orange ? black is EPA , orange is the race tuner..
Orange. The more expensive one.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jackal
You are 2 hours from FM? DUDE! As it sits, it is better off than stock, so what's the issue? You don't have to make the run WFO or anything. Just cruise there and enjoy the ride, then haul *** back on a "new machine".
Guess I was hoping to have it done before going but I guess that is the way to do it since it obviously won't be right. Reason I am worried is that the leaning out is in the midrange not the upper. Perhaps that is a reason to go WFO? "Sorry Officer but you see, I am too lean in the midrange so I have to go WFO to keep my engine cool and not burn it up." Anyone got bail money for me to borrow?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
PAsportster
Tourer

Originally Posted by aklim
Orange. The more expensive one.
good you got an race tuner , which you can do a smart tune and change couple things around...if you look at my dyno runs , the AFR should look like mine and not all over the place ..your bike is runing fine ? no jerking while on throttle ? while on warm up no farting thru air cleaner or acting like it wants to shut off ??

Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by PAsportster
good you got an race tuner , which you can do a smart tune and change couple things around...if you look at my dyno runs , the AFR should look like mine and not all over the place ..your bike is runing fine ? no jerking while on throttle ? while on warm up no farting thru air cleaner or acting like it wants to shut off ??
Seems to be running fine. Not sure about the exhaust but it does sound a little ratty. Maybe that is the freer flowing than regular Bobcat which I ordered since I would someday be at the 1250 range.

Just a little bit of hesitation at the take off if you don't hit it harder is all I notice.

Quick Reply: Need Comments on a dyno run