Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reviving A Dead Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
BrooklynChopper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great advice guys!

I did take apart the carb and got it nice and cleaned up but haven't had a chance to reassemble and reinstall back into the bike. Plus it looks like I'll have another gremlin to fish out this coming weekend...that new battery I put in was drained completely in the 6 days it was hooked up to the bike. Luckily I was able to bring the battery back to life with my battery tender and about a day and half of charging. Hopefully I'll find the short without too much trouble.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

a good enough short will also keep the bike from starting. I would definitely pull a spark plug and ground it on the cylinder and see if you're getting a bright blue spark or not.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM
emphacia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just revived my 90 and it sat for 2 years with the old gas in it. Did batt, plugs, wires, fuel lines and gas and seafoam and it's running great without messing with the carb. It's stressful when it won't run tho..

Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 AM
BrooklynChopper
3rd Gear

This weekend I popped the carb back in, put some new seals, rings, etc on there and just as I turned the petcock to the ON position I noticed a strong gasoline smell. Turns out the damn fuel inlet valve on the carb, the crappy plastic one, had a crack that I didn't notice and was spewing gas all over the place. So once again my attempts were thwarted by yet another snag.

I've heard that those plastic inlet valves have always been a PITA for just about every rider and many have just replaced it with a brass fitting. I've seen a few tutorials online on how to get the old one out and the new one in without too much trouble so I'll give that a shot.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
emphacia
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BrooklynChopper
This weekend I popped the carb back in, put some new seals, rings, etc on there and just as I turned the petcock to the ON position I noticed a strong gasoline smell. Turns out the damn fuel inlet valve on the carb, the crappy plastic one, had a crack that I didn't notice and was spewing gas all over the place. So once again my attempts were thwarted by yet another snag.

I've heard that those plastic inlet valves have always been a PITA for just about every rider and many have just replaced it with a brass fitting. I've seen a few tutorials online on how to get the old one out and the new one in without too much trouble so I'll give that a shot.

If you get a parts number for a brass replacement post it up please, I'll need one too.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
BrooklynChopper
3rd Gear

Looks like this is it:
http://www.cv-performance.com/cvp-fuel-max-inlet-elbow/

Should fit all CV carbs from 1981-2006

Also, they have some instructions for removing the old one and installing the new one here:
http://www.cv-performance.com/fuel-elbow-replacement/

I'm ordering one now, hopefully this will be the final piece to getting the everything working.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM
BrooklynChopper
3rd Gear

Got the replacement inlet valve in and did some work on the bike this past Sunday. Surprisingly the replacement was alot easier than I assumed, especially considering I did it all outside and without the aid of a vice ( unfortunately ). I followed the instructions on the CV Performance website and tapped the brass bit that was stuck inside the carb and used a machine screw, nut, washer, and long socket to pop it out. Since I didn't have a vice or even a c-clamp, I used a black rubber mallet to hammer the new inlet elbow into the carb. It worked surprisingly well and everything fit perfect in place.

Just as I'd hoped, she fired up on the first shot with no complaints. The problem is now something else...

Aside from a leaky petcock, I noticed that with the fuel selector on the petcock turned to the ON position, I have a steady ( but not too heavy ) stream of fuel flowing out of my overflow tube coming out of the carb. This leads me to suspect that perhaps the float or needle valve are stuck.

Here are the current issues:
  • Leaky petcock
  • Fuel flowing from overflow with petcock in the ON position
  • Bike only runs with choke open fully, otherwise it stalls
  • If I try to give it throttle, it starts to choke up, cough, and backfire in short fast burts

Any thoughts on what these issues could be caused by?

I was thinking that all the hammering away with the mallet may have bumped the float valve out of place or gotten it jammed. Also, perhaps the jets where not as clean as I thought? I'm thinking the Idle Jet might still be gunked up if the bike stalls w/o the choke completely open. And perhaps the other jets being gunked up could explain the issue with the throttle causing it to damn near stall and backfire?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
slipvayne9278
Advanced

Im in no way shape or form an expert when it comes to carbs, but what i encountered was when my drain hose was dripping not too bad but enough to smell the gas i just found a screw that fits the hose and plug it... Been 2 years with no issues, probably not the best solution, but it works and nothing else seems messed up.

I finished putting my bike together the day before yesterday and took it out for 100 mile ride, everything was ok except, would not stay idleing without giving it gas, and pop and give hesitation during cruising, just cracking the throttle, i would have to constantly give it gas and let off.

Yesterday i took some throttle cleaner spray while the bike was running and sprayed behind the carb... I found when i put the carb back on the seal the carb sits on was not properly seated... I pulled the carb off and repeated the seal... Took it for a ride and ran like a champ. Check your seals, either the carb seal or intake seals.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

the carb over flowing sounds like the float is not sealing the inlet valve closed..it may have crap in between the seat and needle, the seat or needle may be damaged, or the float itself may be bent, binding or saturated with fuel (not floating)...when you go to put the carb back on after working on it, if you put a very thin coat of grease on both inside the folded over part and the area where the carb fits in it you may find you get a better seal...and it will make it go on and off easier...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
BrooklynChopper
3rd Gear

Been meaning to write an update for some time but haven't had much time lately.

The fuel overflowing was fixed by re-seating the needle and adjusting the float. Also I replaced the leaky petcock with a Pingel High_flow petcock which is working GREAT!

Dying with the choke closed was because the idle screw was set too low, once I adjusted that sucker I've had no issues.

One FINAL issue left which is the backfiring and farting from the carb during deceleration and occasionally if I rev the engine while stopped at a light. Here are the steps I've taken so far:
  • Checked to make sure the carb body is seated and sealed well with the intake
  • Put in a fresh gasket for the carb-to-intake seal
  • Performed an intake leak test; results showed no leak
  • Tested the ignition module as per the manual (black/white wire to positive lead on ohmmeter and negative lead to frame. is this correct?)
  • Checked to make sure the battery leads are connected well and the wires are not broken anywhere

Also, was worried about perhaps a too rich / too lean mixture so I pulled the plugs and they were fine. No indication of either condition. No modifications were made to the carb either. I just replaced the jets and needle with new ones just to be on the safe side. I haven't messed with the mixture screw and haven't removed the plug on the carb.

You guys have been absolutely kickass so far helping me troubleshoot this thing and I can't say thank you enough! I'm finally riding it and loving it so far. What do you think about this last issue?

Thanks again!